Case Maintenance

saberwing_ca

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hey all,

I have a quick question. I do computer repair on the side for a company I work with. Recently me boss called me up and asked me to start cleaning out the inside of cases, the problem is with my limited work space and the amount of PC's I get on a weekly basis I do not like the idea of blowing billions of particles of dust into my workspace and using excessive amounts of compressed air canisters in a small area.

My question is, is there a relatively cheap vauum that I can use INSIDE the case? So far after a lot of googling and ebay searching the best I have found is this http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1032119&CatId=41. Seems to be half decent with good reviews. Would this be my best course of action short of getting a full blown air compressor and having to take the cases outside into the frigid cold (Im in Canada eh?!) every time I have to clean one of these suckers out. Which would also imply a lot of extra (and unnecessary) work.

Any thoughts? =)
Thanks for your time.

gondo

Distinguished
An air compressor is bad. There is moisture and oil in that air...even with the best of filtration. And the high PSI of an air compressor will blow dust into places you don't want, such as the hard drive. Same goes for expensive cans of air.

What you want is a vacuum. Just go to the hardware store and get a micro cleaning kit by Chop Vac or anything similar. They are about $10. Just attach that to any old vacuum cleaner and away you go.

For those stubborn fans and heatsink you can pop them out and bring them outside with the air but the rest is better with a vacuum. You won't be blowing moisture and dust into the optical and hard drives.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ive been using an Air Compressor for years and never had an issue. Find it very easy to turn it on blow the case out while its outside done.

Unless you are paranoid id just go with a decent air compressor.