AMD vs. Intel

Scuzzi

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey ! I need Some Comparison on how the two Processors Work (Intel X AMD) ... the most important detail is Crashing ... Does anybody experience an error on speed

or a crash due to lag of network connectivity or application bugs on AMD chips ?? if so please explain

And what's the big picture with the AMDs ... what difference does the Motherboards equal out to in the long run ???

Please Discuss ! I'm very interested in dealing with these less expensive processors that are out now ... ;-)

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I honestly couldn't tell you if they have a big performance difference or not. As far as crashing I doubt its a problem with the cpu unless you have a bad one. I have owned both and and both seem to function fine for me.

The one thing I have noticed is AMD's seem to run more cool. At least from what I have seen. And depending on what model you get some of the amd's have unlocked multipliers.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more detailed answers.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
AMD is the budget cpu company. They are both great but Intel processors do tend to perform a bit faster (but are more expensive). A few other differences:
some Intel processors support triple-channel memory, AMD's only dual-channel.
some Intel processors have hyper-threading (enabling you to run 2 threads at a time per core, 8 threads on a quad-core), AMD processors don't
Intel processors tend to have larger caches
AMD motherboards are cheaper too

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Not really, since only the current gen do AMDs perform a little worse, and thats only with the high end. Also the only intel chips to support HT are the i7s. Plus q4 next year AMD will have Bulldozer, which has 8 cores and hyper threading (or its equivalent).

And to the OP:

AM3 motherboards are better for future proofing than the Intel 1156 motherboards since they will support AMDs new Bobcat and Bullsozer architectures. However currently the processors they support are more or less equal to the i5 (talking about the Phenom II 965). The Intel 1156 socket won't have any processors with more than 4 cores, it will just have new 32nm dual core i5s and i3s (check the Intel roadmap).

Also jryan AMD isn't the budget company. The only thing is that currently Intel has the performance crown with the i7 cpus. Back in the Athlon days AMD did. They also might have it again with Bulldozer.

EDIT: also only socket 1366 supports triple channel memory.

llkNowMEll

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
When I'm still using Intel my computer always crash. My video card was destroyed. But now I'm using AMD™ Athlon X2, i haven't experienced any problem (crash). AMD = see how IT work and keep IT real.

_GTech

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
(OC = Overclock)

The Intel i5-750 is $150 - $200
It's stock at 2.880 GHz (Turbo)
It OCs very stable @ 3.612 GHz on 1600 RAM (kid tested mother approved!)
It can stabilize @ a 4.3 GHz OC on 1200 RAM...

The Intel i7-920 is insanely good! ($200-250)
4.0 GHz stable at very low voltage!
5+ GHz Stable PROVEN..

The 920 will lay waste to ANY AMD CHIP! (There is no savior comming either!)

AMD made a very clear statement, they are NOT interested in competing with Intel anymore. (CEO announced this on Charlie Rose a long time ago!)

AMD knows they are beat, fair and square, price & performance wise!

Intel will soon be dropping the i3 on AMD which at the rediculous prices those will shelf for, and the performance they will produce, AMD is DONE!

Anyone who buys AMD after the i3 will be considered Ignorant... (To put it politely)

AMD will NOT be able to beat the Core 2 Duo e8600 in performance EVER...
(That's right, I said ever, so sue me..)

The e8600 boast proven - jawl dropping 6.3 GHz overlock... ! o_O (OMG!)

Need I say why you should buy Intel? (I should hope not!)

If you haven't figured it out by now, nothing anyone says is going to help you think otherwise...

(AMD chips do not overclock nearly as well as Intel chips!)

If your crashing, it's because you dont' have your computer set up right, you have a virus or malware, your using bad software or drivers, or your hardware is failing... I'd get that error code (0X000000 ??) and tell it to someone to have them help you figure out why the computer is crashing.. (Hope this helps..)

I like the i5, for the price, it's a REAL Performer!

I like the Core 2 Duos, for their price they are INSANE Performers!

I love the i7 920, isanely stable even at high overclocks! (They are well worth the $$$!)

AMD, well, I can't say that I have owned an AMD system that even impressed me or anyone else playing games on my server...
Intel, well, you can FEEL the difference, seriously...