Sign in with
Your question

Best Mobo for Phenom II?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2009 10:05:03 AM

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my computer (mobo, cpu + RAM and then GPU later on). Currently running an ancient AMD 64 3000+ single core (Socket 939) with Nvidia 7800GT, 430watt Antec PSU and case (not a gaming case, forgot the name/code).

My questions are:
1. Which is better for Phenom II 940 BE - mobo with 790FX + SB750 combo OR 750GX + SB750?
i.e DFI Lanparty DK 790GX-M2RS or DFI LANPARTY-JR 790GX-M2RS
Please suggest any good brand (a link would be much appreciated).

2. If I'm to overclock without putting the lifespan of the system at risk, does the memory speed matter? Please recommend any good DDR2.
I'm looking for something like G.Skill PI Black 4gb 4-4-4-12 (800mhz) or any 1066mhz ram (if it does matter).

I was set to get intel i7 (i dont feel like getting something when a newer version is available), but recently i thought going Phenom II would get me a close performance with much less (or maybe better as I can upgrade my GPU with the same $$$ or less).

I just wanna get the cpu/mobo and ram first. If all fine, then I won't upgrade anything else. I don't play any demanding game (I used to play WoW and with all the patches and changed of monitor to 22" lcd, it has became much slower).
At the moment I don't game, just internet browsing with IE7 (seems much slower than firefox) with multi tabbing, watching DVD and listening to musics.

Your suggestion would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

More about : mobo phenom

January 2, 2009 2:52:11 PM

People will debate this till Jan 8th, but my feeling is the Phenom II will be similar to Intel Q9xx0 in all around performance. Maybe better in some apps because of the IMC.

Either 790FX or 790GX will be fine. It comes down to the feature set of the motherboard. Those DFI you listed are pretty good. I'd consider those myself.

Memory speed has nothing to do with motherboard life expectancy. What can kill motherboards is too much voltage and heat. Keep those in check and most motherboards can run for a long time.
January 2, 2009 3:29:04 PM

If your not into gaming the 79GX chipset should be a better overclocking board. But so far the big favorite seems to be the Asus M3A79-T Deluxe with the 790FX/750SB. It's a great board. I have one and like it. Waiting on the Phenom II's to come out before getting into overclocking. My current CPU was known for not being any good for it. On memory just remember the 790 limitation on running 1066 memory only in two slots with auto settings. To run 1066 in all four you need to do it manually in the BIOS.
Also if you choose the Asus board stay the heck away from Corsair RAM, many people reporting problems using the Corsair brand. Haven't seen any problems reported with the GSkill or with Mushkin. This site will give you a lot of insite on the AMD options:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=...
Related resources
January 2, 2009 9:40:48 PM

flyin15sec said:
Memory speed has nothing to do with motherboard life expectancy. What can kill motherboards is too much voltage and heat. Keep those in check and most motherboards can run for a long time.

Thanks for the insight.

Sorry, it was late. I had too much in my head and didn't re-read what I have typed. I have been wanting to know if memory speed does matter to a certain type of cpu. i.e some cpu support 800mhz, some 1066 or 1333, etc. Will it slow down my actual memory speed if I picked the wrong one, say the cpu support 800mhz RAM, yet I bought 1066 RAM.

January 2, 2009 9:47:10 PM

stoner133 said:
If your not into gaming the 79GX chipset should be a better overclocking board. But so far the big favorite seems to be the Asus M3A79-T Deluxe with the 790FX/750SB. It's a great board. I have one and like it. Waiting on the Phenom II's to come out before getting into overclocking. My current CPU was known for not being any good for it. On memory just remember the 790 limitation on running 1066 memory only in two slots with auto settings. To run 1066 in all four you need to do it manually in the BIOS.
Also if you choose the Asus board stay the heck away from Corsair RAM, many people reporting problems using the Corsair brand. Haven't seen any problems reported with the GSkill or with Mushkin. This site will give you a lot of insite on the AMD options:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=...

Thanks Stoner, I will keep in mind regarding the 1066 memory limitation on 790 chipset. The link is just what I have been looking for. I have tried for a while in Tomshardware and Anandtech with so little info regarding Phenom II.

Many thanks.
January 4, 2009 12:38:50 AM

Could some one please tell me which memory speed would be a better choice for PII 940?

At the moment leaning toward G.Skill PI Black 4gb 800 mhz (4-4-4-12) due to cost saving. But I'm willing to spend extra if the memory speed does matter in overclocking.

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2009 7:21:14 PM

790gx is better because you can get good overclocking and if you use dragon utility you can get pretty good machine (about 2Ghz more speed)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2009 6:25:57 PM

Hi, please help me find a board.
my rig is:

Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition with V8 heatsink (V8 not fitted yet)
2x GTX 275 in SLI
8 gig Corsair Dominator xms2 pc2-8500c5, 5-5-5-15 (with air-flow fans)
500, 320, 250 gig HHDs
1100w bz Tagan PSU
WriteMaster Lightscribe dvd-/+rw
X-Blade case.

Which Motherboard do you recommend with a price range of about £225 for my setup ? I have an Asus M3n-HT deluxe (nForce 7 780a SLI) at the moment but want to upgrade. It must have x4 DDR2 slots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2009 6:26:36 PM

Hi, please help me find a board.
my rig is:

Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition with V8 heatsink (V8 not fitted yet)
2x GTX 275 in SLI
8 gig Corsair Dominator xms2 pc2-8500c5, 5-5-5-15 (with air-flow fans)
500, 320, 250 gig HHDs
1100w bz Tagan PSU
WriteMaster Lightscribe dvd-/+rw
X-Blade case.

Which Motherboard do you recommend with a price range of about £225 for my setup ? I have an Asus M3n-HT deluxe (nForce 7 780a SLI) at the moment but want to upgrade. It must have x4 DDR2 slots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2009 6:29:56 PM

Ps. forgot to say the new board will be used for overclocking and for gaming.
!