Sign in with
Your question

Impossible BIOS Recovery

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2009 11:52:59 AM

Hi, I have a problem with updating the BIOS on a desktop PC. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board dq965gf
RAM: 1GB DDR2
CPU: 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo

I recently wanted to sell the PC, and reformatted it with Windows XP. After that, I downloaded the newest drivers for the PC to keep the PC up to date. Along with that I decided to also update the BIOS (this turned out to be a bad decision). I followed the precise instructions provided by Intel, using their ISO method. This creates a bootable ISOlinux CD containing the BIOS update. I inserted the CD, and it booted into a simple linux interface, asking me to press any key to start update, and that it will take about 3-5 minutes, whereafter the PC will shut down by itself. But after I pressed spacebar, the screen went blank and stayed like that for half an hour. Then I got irritated and turned it off. Now I have a very expensive doorstop.

:'( 

Intel's solution to this, however, was to do a recovery update. I downloaded the .BIO file and burned it in the root of a CD (too big for a floppy, usb not supported). Then I removed the BIOS configuration Jumper, inserted the CD and turned on the power. The PC started seeking the CD-ROM drive and floppy drive for the .BIO file. Up to this stage, everything was the same as the online video at <http://video.intel.com&gt; and as the instructions said it would be. The difference is that their test PC shows the update progress and then shuts down, while mine just keeps seeking the CD-ROM and floppy drive (I left it for 45min).

If not even the recovery update can flash the BIOS, what can?
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 12:27:36 PM

If it's less than 3 years old, RMA the motherboard. The only safe way to flash the BIOS is the last one that you tried (.BIO file on a CD). I ran into the same issue with a DG965RY.
January 2, 2009 12:46:51 PM

You can try to clear the CMOS. Short the jumpers and take out the battery. If you are lucky it will work but it probably won't.
Related resources
January 2, 2009 12:57:54 PM

GhislainG said:
If it's less than 3 years old, RMA the motherboard.

I am not sure what RMA is. Please Explain.

GhislainG said:
The only safe way to flash the BIOS is the last one that you tried (.BIO file on a CD).

Unfortunately the only safe way is not working here.

Anything else?
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 1:35:47 PM

Using a .BIO file burned to a CD the first time that you tried to flash the BIOS would have been best, but it's too late.

Make sure the .BIO file is readable. If you didn't burn the .BIO file to a blank CD, i.e., it isn't the only file on the CD, then you should burn another CD to see if it works.

If not, contact Intel again and they'll provide you with instructions to return the motherboard (what is referred to as the RMA process). You'll probably have to struggle a bit because they will ask you to keep on trying the same solution until you make them understand that it just won't work.
January 8, 2009 8:33:57 PM

Be sure the CD drive can read the BIOS file when installed on another computer.

disconnect any other drive/hard disk/anything

If the CD drive is not sata, then, be sure is the only device on the cable, and is setup as master.
!