Sign in with
Your question

P-III Tualatin ATX Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2009 12:26:41 PM

Hi All,

My Mom's PC is a Pentium III with 810e mini ATX Motherboard with 512 MB SD RAM in OK condition. Since the last couple of months am trying a MOBO because of USB problems on the present board. This is what am looking for:

=> Socket 370 Motherboard (ATX only) supporting Intel 815 or Via Apollo chipset
=> Must support the existing P-III 1.2GHz Tualatin Processor.
=> PC 133 MHz non-ECC SD RAM - 1GB or 1.5 GB (1GB is good enough)

My problem is am not able to get a MOBO till date. I've tried tons by Googling but ended up with no stock no stock no stock results on many sites Sadly, I couldn't upgrade that PC with a new MOBO before the Christmas (as i thought to surprise her). Please guys, can anyone help me finding such a MOBO :( 

Note:

onboard 1.x USB has gone kaput; added an ALI based PCI-to-USB 2.0 card. But still that PC doesn't support 2.0 high speed functionality. Tried installing all ALI drivers, disabling onboard 1.x support, disabling Standard USB Host Controller from device manager, posted this problem to experts-exchange dot com etc etc Nothing worked. She always complains that Computer is slow because of low RAM or USB flash drive data transfer is slow because of USB issues and so on. So am looking to scarp that old MOBO.

Thanks,

~akula2
a c 229 V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 12:31:39 PM

Why not buy a used P4 that meets her requirements? They're so cheap that it isn't even worth trying to fix an old PIII.
January 2, 2009 12:33:54 PM

you'll never find an online retailer that would still be stocking a socket 370 motherboard. you're talking about 10 year old technology here. unless you can find a super deal on ebay, i'd suggest go and buy the cheapest socket 775 motherboard you can find on newegg (they have one for around $20-30). even if it only supports pentium 4 or celeron D, it would still be a massive improvement.
Related resources
January 2, 2009 12:44:23 PM

GhislainG said:
Why not buy a used P4 that meets her requirements? They're so cheap that it isn't even worth trying to fix an old PIII.

Yes I know :) 

That PC is my Mom's PC with lot of sentiments since April 2000. It's about retaining the PC as it is without selling it off (not an obsolete model to us). Memory is it's her first PC carrying many good memories and successes. It's kind of sentiment to her. So I've thought to go with the MOBO/RAM upgrade instead of trashing that PC and gift her a Core 2 Quad desktop. Anyway, she uses a Lenovo laptop too.
January 2, 2009 12:49:54 PM

Nik_I said:
you'll never find an online retailer that would still be stocking a socket 370 motherboard. you're talking about 10 year old technology here. unless you can find a super deal on ebay, i'd suggest go and buy the cheapest socket 775 motherboard you can find on newegg (they have one for around $20-30). even if it only supports pentium 4 or celeron D, it would still be a massive improvement.

Unfortunately, we call such scenario as rapid H/W extinction :(  Right, such MOBOs (815) were available from 2000 to 2003 but it's really hard to find one now.

Price is not the issue as am ready to pay more than $50 to get such a MOBO as I've mentioned in my requirement. 133 MHz SD RAM is available here locally but not the MOBO. I can get here 810 MOBO but not any 815 based. Just hoping for a way out of this...still I can find few but guys are NOT interested in shipping out of the United States. Hard rules you see :) 
January 2, 2009 1:32:41 PM

The 810e isn't the only chipset to support Tualatins.

You are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place, assuming the amount of money you are willing to spend is limited. The Tualitins were the ancestors to the current Core Duo processors, rivaled p4s in speed (clock for clock), and were very efficient for their day including 512K of L2 cache. The Via 694T chipset, found on some Gigabyte and Asus models were designed well and used good caps compared to some other manufacturers that tried to skimp on the quality of caps, and rivaled the Intel chipset in feature set. Your best bet is to find one on eBay. The following link is an example of what you should be looking for, just in case you can't find a 810e that supports the Tualatin processors.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_M...

I don't understand why a USB 2.0 PCI card won't work on your Mom's motherboard. I've successfully performed this upgrade for several customers who had the old 694T chipset or a comparable Tualatin-supported chipset.
January 2, 2009 2:10:01 PM

To be honest, If the card works in 1.1 mode, call it a win and just stuff some more RAM in there. While the PIII arguably owns early P4s, its not a level of own that would need USB2.0 speeds.

EDIT: Also, what OS are you using? IDK if older OSes (i.e. Win98, WinMe, Win2k) support USB2.0.
January 2, 2009 5:29:02 PM

i installed a tualatin 1.4 ghz on a old pentium 450 mhz this december, and i must say that that cpu rocks, the pc is alive again for more 10 years of internet browsing and playing old games. even doom3 runs good!
January 2, 2009 6:10:39 PM

ejay said:
The 810e isn't the only chipset to support Tualatins.

The Via 694T chipset, found on some Gigabyte and Asus models were designed well and used good caps compared to some other manufacturers that tried to skimp on the quality of caps, and rivaled the Intel chipset in feature set. Your best bet is to find one on eBay.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_M...

I know ejay, apart from Intel 810e/815 Tualatins are supported by Via Apollo Pro chipsets too. I've 90% knowledge on such boards, hunted them badly at US and UK sites. But 99% guys are not willing to ship outside of those places. Am not looking for 810e anymore, hunting for 815 or Via chipset boards. I've to find a way out.

ejay said:
I don't understand why a USB 2.0 PCI card won't work on your Mom's motherboard. I've successfully performed this upgrade for several customers who had the old 694T chipset or a comparable Tualatin-supported chipset.

That's the whole problem. I've tried many ways but nothing worked for getting USB 2.0 features. She can use only with slow speed 1.x support be it with her iPod or USB Flash drives. Obviously data transfer speeds are very slow :??: 
January 2, 2009 6:15:31 PM

B-Unit said:
To be honest, If the card works in 1.1 mode, call it a win and just stuff some more RAM in there. While the PIII arguably owns early P4s, its not a level of own that would need USB2.0 speeds.

EDIT: Also, what OS are you using? IDK if older OSes (i.e. Win98, WinMe, Win2k) support USB2.0.

RAM 512 MB looks good enough. I've optimized the Win XP - SP2 services on that machine too. Yes, if am fortunate to get a MOBO am looking for then I would install 1GB PC 133 MHz SD RAM on that PC + wanna add 256/512 MB AGP card too (am still optimistic of getting such a MOBO...just wish to see her very happy :)  ).
January 2, 2009 6:20:50 PM

rickzor said:
i installed a tualatin 1.4 ghz on a old pentium 450 mhz this december, and i must say that that cpu rocks, the pc is alive again for more 10 years of internet browsing and playing old games. even doom3 runs good!

Yes buddy that PC works really like a charm to her business requirements (word, browsing, e-mails, chat etc). Even that PC runs smoothly under heavy Java apps, MS Office 2007, Photoshop etc. You are correct, Tualatin processor is really the work horse. She doesn't want to dump that PC at all, kinda sentimental to her. That's why am trying so hard to find some guy who can ship such a MOBO by accepting Card transaction etc :( 
January 2, 2009 7:59:58 PM

akula2 said:
Hi All,

Friends please advicel me are these ebay MOBO deals genuine? I mean, never brought a MOBO from ebay. Should I trust and ask my cousin to buy like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGABYTE-Intel-PIII-socket-370-ATX-...

Looks like the real deal, and the seller has a good rating. Regardless, it won't be much of a loss even if it doesn't work, so long as you don't pay more than the "Buy It Now" price. From my own experience, sometimes you can get a good deal off eBay, sometimes not...its a roll of the dice.

On the other hand, should you decide to go with a VIA chipset, please be mindful that not all Apollo Pro motherboards are Tualatin compatible - just the ones with a "T" disignation, such as the 694T.

Good Luck! For what your Mom uses the computer for, it should hopefully work just fine.
January 3, 2009 5:41:59 AM

ejay said:
From my own experience, sometimes you can get a good deal off eBay, sometimes not...its a roll of the dice.

On the other hand, should you decide to go with a VIA chipset, please be mindful that not all Apollo Pro motherboards are Tualatin compatible - just the ones with a "T" disignation, such as the 694T.

I am hunting for any one of these:

ASUS TUSL2-C, Intel D815EEA2U, Soyo SY-TISU, and the Tyan Tomcat i815T (S2080).

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1512

ejay said:
Good Luck! For what your Mom uses the computer for, it should hopefully work just fine.

Thank you very much dear friend :)  My only request is if anyone finds such a MOBO (stumble) please post a message here.
January 3, 2009 6:25:31 PM

ejay said:
From my own experience, sometimes you can get a good deal off eBay, sometimes not...its a roll of the dice.

Hello again! I've got couple of MOBO leads. One specifically is Intel D815EEA2U with onboard VGA, LAN Pro 100 and sound. Issue is on that portal the Condition is Pull. Price is $19.99 unlike the Gigabyte board on the ebay (maybe even that's a pull which i don't know!).

Should I go ahead with the Intel or Gigabyte one? I wanna look for few more MOBOs because only problem for me is these 815 Intel chipsets have the
limitation of 512 MB SD RAM compared to upto 1.5 GB of Via Apollo Pro T chips.

What do you guys suggest?

January 3, 2009 6:42:29 PM

If that limitation is true, then i would go for the gigabyte one. You know how things go with ram, the more the merrier!
January 5, 2009 2:36:48 PM

akula2 said:
Guys please suggest on this MOBO:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-TUSL2-M-Motherboard-Socket-3...|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I mean it's a micro ATX with 512 MB only still Asus is very reputed. What do you say

Looks like a fairly good deal and Asus does have a good reputation for this era of motherboards...512 Meg sticks (if I understand the capacity specs correctly) can kick your memory capacity up a fair amount. Most of the Via motherboards provide 3 ram slots, but can only go up to a maximum of 256 Meg per stick. If you have friends or family in the states, you might look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-TUSL2-C-815EP-Motherboard-Tual...

This deal is probably a little more, even with the dollar to pound exchange rate, but not a lot more and this is a full size motherboard.

Good luck!
January 5, 2009 7:56:40 PM

ejay said:
If you have friends or family in the states, you might look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-TUSL2-C-815EP-Motherboard-Tual...

This deal is probably a little more, even with the dollar to pound exchange rate, but not a lot more and this is a full size motherboard.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your effort, will definitely get in touch with that guy. Yes getting things from USA & EU is not a problem for me.

Meanwhile, tomorrow me gonna buy 19" LCD Samsung monitor locally. So I need to decide quickly on MOBO and AGP card. If am lucky enough to get high RAM MOBO then I'll buy PC-133 MHz 2 x 512 MB SD RAM. Else me gonna retain the existing 2 x 256 MB only. This way I wanna gift her this PC, shall remain with her like this forever.

Anyway, one guy at ebay.uk responded me this:

I can offer you a QDI board that fits your requirements. It's not on ebay at the moment, but I can send you a paypal request for you to pay for it. price is 19 pound and 5 shipping

Never heard about QDI, wondering what to do about that :sleep: 
January 6, 2009 2:17:24 PM

akula2 said:
Never heard about QDI, wondering what to do about that :sleep: 

There were a number of second and third tier motherboard manufacturers who were putting cheaper Taiwanese capacitors on their boards about that time which created havoc for owners. For motherboards that old, I would stay with first tier manufacturers only such as Asus and Gigabyte.
January 8, 2009 6:24:26 PM

Akula2, If you are still in a market for an Asus TUSI-M MB, I still have two brand new ones in stock with manual and drivers cd. Leave me a message here or email me. I also have an ECS P6VXAT Tualitin MB as well . I am doing a project like your yours and I just received my 5 Tualatin CPUs yesterday. I am upgrading some older P3's 133FSB Mb's to take these cpu's. The cpu's are P3 1133, 1200 and 1400 Celeron. I just bought a Compaq Desk Pro EN P3 733 pc box and this one has an Intel 815 chipset and I will be testing to see if it will take a Tualatin cpu. I believe it will. On Compaq website I see they have a 1200Mhz P3 model listed under the deskpro EN here.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Produc...

alfredfoh.AT.gmail.com
January 10, 2009 6:48:08 AM

alfredfoh said:
Akula2, If you are still in a market for an Asus TUSI-M MB, I still have two brand new ones in stock with manual and drivers cd. Leave me a message here or email me. I also have an ECS P6VXAT Tualitin MB as well . I am doing a project like your yours and I just received my 5 Tualatin CPUs yesterday. I am upgrading some older P3's 133FSB Mb's to take these cpu's. The cpu's are P3 1133, 1200 and 1400 Celeron. I just bought a Compaq Desk Pro EN P3 733 pc box and this one has an Intel 815 chipset and I will be testing to see if it will take a Tualatin cpu. I believe it will.

Hi Alfred,

Sometimes I feel god helps, pleasure to meet you. That CPU in my Mom's PC is 1.2GHz with 256KB L2 cache (06/21/02), dumped the P-III slot processor (April 2000).

Yes, am still looking for new boards :)  I've checked up few details quickly:

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Elitegroup-Socket-370-P6VXA... - This doesn't support Tualatin processor because of VIA Apollo Pro133A on that MOBO. Only Pro133T or Pro266T support Tualatins.

Umm, did you test that Asus TUSI-M MB with a P-III 1.2GHz processor?
January 14, 2009 3:28:08 PM

Akula2, I have not tested a 1.2 PIII the Tualantin cpu's on the ECS MB yet but on the Asus TUSI-M and ECS I already have a Tualatin Celeron 1GHz running at 1333 Mhz. I am pretty sure they all run Tualatin cpus. I have another brand new TUSI-M MB, I'll try a P3 1.2G and a Celeron 1.4Ghz which I just received last week. I'll let you know after the weekend. I know that the ECS MB works with Tualatin CPU's as somewhere in the chipset it has the T suffix. I need to find the ECS MB manual and an ORB HS fan to test out the 5 Tualatins on the ECS and Asus MB's as well as the Compaq EVO PC box this weekend.

I just look at the TUSI-M on p8, it says supports Tualatin but no mention of P3 1.2Ghz. It has a SIS630ET chipset so I think it will.

BTW, the Celeron 1 Ghz(100fsb) I am using is not a green coppermine it has a large metal on top like a P4 S478 so it must be Tualatin. It can hit as high a 1450Mhz with the stock HS/fan but it stable at 1333Mhz.
January 14, 2009 6:55:47 PM

akula2 said:
Hi All,

My Mom's PC is a Pentium III with 810e mini ATX Motherboard with 512 MB SD RAM in OK condition. Since the last couple of months am trying a MOBO because of USB problems on the present board. This is what am looking for:

=> Socket 370 Motherboard (ATX only) supporting Intel 815 or Via Apollo chipset
=> Must support the existing P-III 1.2GHz Tualatin Processor.
=> PC 133 MHz non-ECC SD RAM - 1GB or 1.5 GB (1GB is good enough)

i've got an Asus with a 1.2 GHz Celeron but i'm hanging onto that.

there's got to be loads of people with p3 motherboards. if i wanted one i'd
be scoping out the computer recycling centers.

one of the biggest recyclers, in Berkeley

http://www.accrc.org/

January 19, 2009 2:55:59 AM

alfredfoh said:
Akula2, I have not tested a 1.2 PIII the Tualantin cpu's on the ECS MB yet but on the Asus TUSI-M and ECS I already have a Tualatin Celeron 1GHz running at 1333 Mhz. I am pretty sure they all run Tualatin cpus. I have another brand new TUSI-M MB, I'll try a P3 1.2G and a Celeron 1.4Ghz which I just received last week. I'll let you know after the weekend. I know that the ECS MB works with Tualatin CPU's as somewhere in the chipset it has the T suffix. I need to find the ECS MB manual and an ORB HS fan to test out the 5 Tualatins on the ECS and Asus MB's as well as the Compaq EVO PC box this weekend.

I just look at the TUSI-M on p8, it says supports Tualatin but no mention of P3 1.2Ghz. It has a SIS630ET chipset so I think it will.

BTW, the Celeron 1 Ghz(100fsb) I am using is not a green coppermine it has a large metal on top like a P4 S478 so it must be Tualatin. It can hit as high a 1450Mhz with the stock HS/fan but it stable at 1333Mhz.

Today (Jan 18/2k9). This a follow up to my above post. The ECS P6VXAT I have is a VIA VT82C694T NB and VIA VT82686A SB chipset UDMA66 , Bios Rev1.1and it supports Tualatin CPUs(see Page 3 of MB manual, go to ECS US website). I don't have a P3 256K 1.2 Ghz Tualatin. The Tualatins I have are : P3-s 1266Mhz/512K/133/ 1.45V, P3-s 1133Mhz/512K/133/1.45V, Celeron 1300Mhz/256/133/1.5V and Celeron 1400Mhz/256k/133/1.5V, Celeron 1000Mhz/256/100/1.5V. So my super Celerons 1000,1300, 1400 are like your P3 1.2 Ghz as they all have 256K cache. My P3-s (or p3 super if what that s stands for) has 512K cache and it works fine on the ECS so why not your P3 1.2Ghz 256K. Over the weekend I have tested the P3-s 1133 and P3-s1266 on the ECS P6VXAT and they all work w/o any problem. Your question if your P3 1.2 Ghz will work on it or the TUSI-M the answer is it will most likely. I already have the Celeron 1000Mhz/256K/100 running at 1333 Mhz on both the ECS P6VXAT and the Asus TUSI-M. The difference between a Celeron and a P3 is in the cache size and a the delay of one clock cycle in the cache. My ECS system now has a P3-s1266Mhz/512/133, WD 540M HD with W98SE, SIS730AGP4X, Browser is FF 2.02, NIC is a Netgear FA311 and is zippy. Next week XPH or Ubuntu8.04 is going in as soon as I get a bigger HD. Unbuntu 8.04 was tested on the ECS and it was OK.
!