Still no output on home build

syco123

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
The history of this home build is a terrible tale and I'm not done yet.

Here is the parts list

Q6600
gigabyte GA-EP35-dS3L
gigabyte 8800GT
Corsair DDR2-800
RCX-Z4 fan
SATA 500b HDD
PATA CD/DVD
TX 650W power supply

I assembled all the part pressed power and all was good. I then screwed up massively. As the HDD formated a cable unraveled and stopped the CPU fan and cooked it.

So I replaced the CPU. I put it into the old board and nothing. I was advised to replace the MOBO so iI did, still nothing. There was a defect on the CPU so I sent it back to NewEgg who replaced it (now on CPU #3).

I've just put the new CPU in the new mobo and still nothing.

W ...T....F

3 cpus and 2 mobo later I still get no beep codes, no signal to the monitor (monitor checked with laptop and its oK) . I do get power to the CD/DVD lights on the RAM (the appear to slowly cycle through a matching pattern), the FDD chatters and then nothing.

Please, anyone who know what might be wrong? I've invested too much to give up on this box and spent too much over the top because of my fkup.

I don't have any spare parts as all the old stuff laying around is too old.
I don't have a friend with a similar PC to swap out parts to check stuff either.

what now?

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Sounds like your PSU to me. Not sure what to tell you, other than take it to a local computer repair shop where they can plug it into a different PSU and see if that's the problem.

You could try connecting everything outside of the case (take the mobo, etc out) and see if it posts to make sure you don't have a short.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well I'ma go out on a limb here.

Ima guess when you changed parts you forgot to plug the 4/8 pin 12v ATX power from the PSU to the CPU, back in. If so you wont get no where. Its easy to forget in a sloppy mess of wires, and when you get to exited about something.

If its plugged in make sure all other cables are in and ram and gpu is seated real good.

If that dont work try it outside the case.

Try one stick of ram ect....

When changing ram sticks and what not reset cmos every change.

When you reset cmos tur of computer and turn off the power supply. You should be able to get it to boot.

I dont think you got 3 bad CPU's not even one for that matter. When it got hot it should of shut itself down.

Theres no way you got 3 bad CPUs and 2 bad mobos.

syco123

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Yea I'm hoping I might have enough spare parts for another build, lol. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it went.
Thanks for your time.

syco123

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Fircken Graphics card!!

i bought a cheapo card to test it and now it fires up fine. I put the 'fried' cpu in the 'fried' board with the new card and are both are fine as well.

$300 up the swanny! No i have to see how to cut my losses, either complete another build and sell the box or sell the parts.

Anyone want a q6600 and P35 DS3L for cheap? Never overclocked!

At least it posts to the monitor now so I can continue the fun stuff.

Thanks for your help and time.