plip73

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hi. . i need to know how to set the cd-rom slave into master. . . . .My bios detects that my cd-rom in primary slave devices. . . . . . I want to know how to change it into master.. . .

You can do it two ways.

Way #1 is to set the jumper at the back of the drive to master and any other drive on the cable set to slave. The jumper is in a little set of pins right next to the PATA connector. There will be a label above the jumper pins showing where to put the jumper for master, slave, and cable select. You will want to set the jumper to master here. Most drives I've seen ship from the factory with the jumper on cable select, so you will need to move it most likely.

Way #2 is to use cable select. Notice that the PATA cable has three connectors- one at the end connecting to the motherboard and then two at the other end. The connector at the very end of the cable is the master and the one just a bit closer to the motherboard end is the slave. Look at the jumper and make sure that the jumper is at cable select, then plug the very end (master) PATA connector into the drive.

Either one will work and your drive should show up as a master.