Sign in with
Your question

SATA or SAS | intell P55 or ROCKETRAID2640X4

Last response: in Storage

So do I buy a Highpoint rocket SAS/SATA raid card and move my OS to this new setup?

Total: 0 vote

• Buy Highpoint rocket raid card 2640 and us the SAS HDD for better performance
  • 0 %
  • Stick with the current setup?
  • 0 %
  • Buy the rocket raid card and move the SATA HDD on to it for better performance
  • 0 %
  • Buy a 3rd 1 TB HDD add it to the current raid 0 for the same costs?
  • 0 %
  • You think I should do what ?
  • 0 %
February 11, 2010 8:03:19 PM

Hi Guy's

I'm confused.

I have two 1 TB Sata HDD Segate and I get about 200 MB/s using Raid 0 with my intergrated intel P55 chipset.

I am thinking to buy a Highpoint ROCKET RAID 2640 X4 and us it with 2 SAS small HDD for my raid 0 for windows 7 boot disk and then use the 2 1 TB as a raid 1 mirror for data protection.

The question I put forward to you is this:
With now days technology I think the onboard Raid 0 intel P55 with these fast SATA 1 TB 32 mb cache each sustaining 100 MB/s drives might be the equivelant to lets say 320 GB SAS 15K drives on the Highpoint ROCKET RAID 2640 X4 raid card. Please don't take the costs involved with the SAS drives as they are replacement of faulty HDD which I could not send off for warrentee repairs.

So do I buy a Highpoint rocket SAS/SATA raid card and move my OS to this new setup? or should I just be happy with the speed I have at hand :)  as the costs with not produce any extra performance?
February 12, 2010 2:23:46 AM

I don't see you getting that much more performance that way(i do not have benchmarks).
Be happy with what you have and save up for an ssd or even a raid 0 setup with 2 ssds
February 12, 2010 2:30:41 AM

ordcestus said:
I don't see you getting that much more performance that way(i do not have benchmarks).
Be happy with what you have and save up for an ssd or even a raid 0 setup with 2 ssds

Thanks for your feed back :) 
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 12, 2010 6:22:09 AM

Enable volume write back cache and test again. This will help if you have not done so. RAIDing 7200 rpm drives will get you the streaming speed of the 15k SAS drives very easily, but not the random read/write speed. If you application needs this, then an SSD or faster RPM drive will be the only thing that noticeably improves performance.
a c 127 G Storage
February 12, 2010 6:54:21 AM

Enabline 'write cache' option in Intel ICHxR RAID drivers will be alot faster than even Hardware RAID; since you use your RAM as write-back; accelerating writes and mixed read/write significantly.

Be wary though; one small hick-up may cause your filesystem to become corrupted. So its a very volatile setup that doesn't play well with power outages and crashing drivers/OS.

Also, using RAID1 to replace a backup is a bad idea. You would be better off with RAID0 and a backup than just RAID1.
a b G Storage
February 12, 2010 12:13:15 PM

For the minimal speed increases with using the RocketRAID the additional cost is not worth it, go with the mobo RAID with the P55 chipset rather than the RocketRAID controller. If you really want speed get some SSD's.

The only real reason to choose a dedicated RAID controller over onboard would be if you plan on dual booting Linux as a 2nd OS. Intel does not write RAID drivers for Linux for their chipsets whereas HighPoint provides Linux support.
a c 127 G Storage
February 12, 2010 12:59:58 PM

Linux' md-driver does support Intel MatrixRAID metadata. I'm not sure if it supports the combined RAID0/RAID1 on 2 disk configuration, but it should support simple arrays like RAID0/1/5.
!