Xigmatec Rifle in and AMD build question

Solution
The ripjaw memory has extra tall heatspreaders that sort of look like a comb. They will interfere with tower style cpu heatsinks. Those are the ones I do not recommend since the tall heatspreaders are pretty much a waste of time.

I keep looking at the photos and it seems to me the teeth are not quite as tall as some of the other brands. Might be an optical illusion. I don't know. maybe they'll work.

Here's a handy tip: Insert the memory first. Insert the cpu heatsink second. It is a lot easier that way.

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ok, will take a look over the information listed, thanks again! However, I have done some searching and cannot find a consensus on the main issue, that being if the retention bracket is "convenient", as in an easier install, or necessary as far as preventing board damage. Again, running the S1283 on a M4A79XTD EVO with a AMD 955 BE (Well, WILL be running, haven't gotten all the parts yet to build it, so if I need to send it back, then I will). Thanks again, and let me know what you think about the bracket if you have time!

- C

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Oh, and I guess while I am at it, I was reading on that site listed above and some other reviews that the Rifle sometimes covers mem slots...Again, have the M4A79XTD EVO, and the following memory, which DOES have its own heatsinks, on its way...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

Got it on sale, 8gbs for $150, and people said it runs smooth on an AMD build as well as intel. Just worried about the clearance now, as not so sure how the Heatsink will be oriented and such, and as I don't have all the parts yet (should be here tomorrow or the next), I can't just play with it to see just yet!

- C

The ripjaw memory has extra tall heatspreaders that sort of look like a comb. They will interfere with tower style cpu heatsinks. Those are the ones I do not recommend since the tall heatspreaders are pretty much a waste of time.

I keep looking at the photos and it seems to me the teeth are not quite as tall as some of the other brands. Might be an optical illusion. I don't know. maybe they'll work.

Here's a handy tip: Insert the memory first. Insert the cpu heatsink second. It is a lot easier that way.

Solution

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks a ton, that makes a bit more sense. I guess the last question is this then...Between the V8, CCF, and the Xigmatec, it look as if the only on that has a mounting bracket to brace the back of the board is the V8, which also looks to be the only one that allows to mount vertical or horizontal without extra pieces. IF this is correct, that makes all of the Coolers about the same price when you include having to order extra parts for the CCF and the Xigmatec, and as such which is the best buy? Plus, it looks like the V8 is the only one that doesn't even come close to covering the memory models, at least from the vids I have seen. Again, if all three were on a platter in front of you, which would you choose? I know frosty's puts them in the order of CCF, V8, and then Xig, but then again, seems like most people buy the Xig, so not so sure what to do!

Hope my question makes sense!

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have the exact same (xigmatek)Cooler installed on a Gigabyte ga-ma-790fxt-ud5p cooling a Phenom II 720 (idle 25C load 50@ 3.54 ghz).

Everything I needed for the installation came with the cooler.

You just need to install the retetion bracket just the same way that I would have with the stock cooler.

The only problem is that you can't freely decide which direction the fan will face. I can only choose if it blows air up or down (180* change) but I couldn't make it blow air out of the rear (90* change)

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks guys, after reading the reviews and the information you guys provided, it seems the best bet is to really take a look at the top 5 or so, and then just go with preference. I think I'll go with the V8, as it seems both effective and visually pleasing, and also one of the few that won't cover my mem slots like the Xig did. The CCF sounds awesome, but maybe in the future, as I am just a little Leary of getting something that looks so much like the Xig and finding it ALSO) covers my ram slots, heh (Not sure on this, but can't find an answer either way anywhere yet).

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks guys, after reading the reviews and the information you guys provided, it seems the best bet is to really take a look at the top 5 or so, and then just go with preference. I think I'll go with the V8, as it seems both effective and visually pleasing, and also one of the few that won't cover my mem slots like the Xig did. The CCF sounds awesome, but maybe in the future, as I am just a little Leary of getting something that looks so much like the Xig and finding it ALSO) covers my ram slots, heh (Not sure on this, but can't find an answer either way anywhere yet).

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Since it won't let me edit my post for some reason, I'll just add on here, heheh. The V8 also makes me feel a little better with the mounting bracket and bolt through mount supplied, rather than the pin on mounting my Xig came with. The Cooler Master 212 also sounds very cool,. but given it is out of stock at Newegg, I will have to wait on that for the future too!

Thanks again guys for all the help, and please feel free to keep on giving advice, pointers, and comments, they will all be appreciated. I'll also let you all know here how my first time applying a cooler goes!

- C

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I am continuing to trumpet the benefits of my HSF, Scythe Samurai Zz, as I have been thoroughly impressed with it's performance with the OC of my 710 x3 (specs in sig). One website rated it for only 95w duty even though Scythe claims 130w threshold, but a few friends have installed it on their AMD quadcore rigs on my advice (one a stock 955, the other a 3.6ghz 940) and are getting exceptional temps, the 940 hasn't broken 55c under 6 hour P95 load. The stock 955 doesn't break 38c, and Idles in the mid 20s. I know its anecdotal, but I promise I am not being paid by scythe to say this, heh, I have just been really impressed and want to share my experiences with this budget HSF.

The only reason I mention this, is because of your concerns for the size of the HSF and how it may interfere with the rest of your board. With a total footprint of 94 x 122 x 94 mm, inc fan, and the option to install it in two directions. It is not symetrical, overhangs the CPU either towards the memory, or towards the rear of the case. I chose the latter configuration. I don't have a large case (el cheapo CM Elite 330) and it fit with a lot of room to spair.

Zzphoto.jpg

Zzinstalled.jpg

Editted to include press photo of the HSF

zip - You are absolutely correct.

I would add that their unique synthetic test platform which technically is not a pc system in a pc case and uniform use of thermal compound might result in fairly consistent testing procedures and relative results.

I am not surprised that they are still testing with older cpu's. Among gamers, enthusiasts, and do-it-yourselfers the most popular cpu's are the Intel Core2 family, specifically the Intel Core2 Quad cpu's. The new Intel Nehalem family is only 12 months old and has quite a ways to go to surpass the Core2 Quads in sales. I suspect they'll eventually do it when and if prices are cut in half. Right now they are expensive.

I took a look at some Maximum PC reviews. They are consistent also in that they are using the same platform for each test. However, they are not testing with an Intel Core i5 or i7 either. Here is a direct quote about their test platform:

"Test system consists of a stock-clock Q6700 processor on an EVGA 680i motherboard inside a Cooler Master ATCS 840 case with stock fans."

I went through a dozen reviews of newer cpu heatsinks to make sure. They are definitely using an Intel Q6700 which is an Intel Core2 Quad processor. Apparently thay aren't bothering to test with AMD cpu's.

I am not surpised that different review sites wind up with different test results for the same cpu heatsink. On the other hand I would be surprised if the test results varied by more than plus or minus 10% for identical testing. In this situation testing procedures are not identical.

zip - You're right again. There really are a million scenarios. It would be a time consuming and expensive project to try all the possible combinations of cpu's, heatsinks, and thermal compounds to find the best possible solutions. The last time I looked manufacturers and vendors were offering well over 40 different brands of thermal compounds in three categories - silicone based, metal based, and ceramic based. The silicone based compounds are still the most common. It's usually the metal based compounds like AS5 that require curing. FrostyTech uses a silicone based compoound. Maximum PC does not provide any information about thermal compound.

My position is that if there is no more than 3C or 4C difference in temperature, then it won't make any signifcant difference for the typical user or gamer.

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Well, I guess the question is, did I make a good decision with the V8 or no? Seems to be rated pretty good, was nicely priced, and I think looks pretty decent as well. I'm not looking to crazy Oc just yet, maybe push the 955 to 3.6 or so, so I should be fine for now, no?

- C

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I paid $44 for it, though it also came with all the extra mounting brackets for bolt threw, and not so sure any of the others did. That was my main concern, because I heard bolt threw is much better contact wise, and the Xig and CCF at least looked like, while $10 cheaper for the most part, I would need extra parts to both bolt threw AND orientate it horizontally to blow out the back on my AM 3 board. Looked like both of those would block a ram slot as well, given my ram has heat spreaders built in. We will see though, I really like what I have heard about the 212, maybe in the future, given this is my first build, and I know more will be on the way, heh.

- C

+1 JofaMang for posting that info on your superb cooler.

You don't need a V8, it is overpriced and underperforms compared to other coolers that are cheaper.

I have a cheap 30 dollar cooler (Freezer 64) and my load temps never reach 37c at LOAD (3.685Ghz) :

SANY0016.jpg

Yeah well the Freezer 7 is a decent cooler, if you get it cheap. But it's not even close to the CCF, V8 or hyper 212+

Maybe not close to a CCF or a 212 but I bet I can beat a V8 any day.

Ambient at 29c (summer) CPU @ 3.685GHz prime LOAD and temps never reached 37c :

3685Ghz.jpg

at 4Ghz it won't reach 40c ..... As a B50 (3.6Ghz) Max temp is 46c :kaola:

Btw, these are summer temps, tonight I will take another screenie at 25c ambient and post again....

Purchasing a fancy 44 dollar cooler like the V8 is only as good as it cools, meaning as long as it keeps your temps at a tolerable level you should be fine. The V8 aint a bad cooler, my point is that there are better less fancy coolers at a cheaper price.

Hands down it is one of the best looking coolers around, you can't deny that =)

Im just messin with the OP, he knows he has a monster of a cooler :ouch:

Here is another pic... Ambient @ 22c (2Hrs Prime) :

prime.jpg

If a V8 can match that then we are even... if it beats that temp then I take back whatever I said.....

Well that was why I posted temps from summer and now winter, of course in the winter it will drop drastically, but 70F is a normal temp for testing and that is not considered cold. If I test at 61/62F my idle temps are around 19c and LOAD is around 28c. Not sure if I got lucky or what but I have never seen a 30 dollar cooler perfrom this well.

Anyways the temp in my room last night was around 68/69F (20c), IMO the above temps are ridiculously low, specially when I overclocked the CPU to 3.9Ghz and ran large FFT's for about 30/35 min... Is it the case/cooler or both?

In summer (26/29c) my temps never hit 39c even at 3.9/4Ghz. I even have a spare lapped freezer that cannot achieve these temps, not sure what's going on... I have also tested using temp probes and the temps only differ by -1/+1c ......

I also benched my 550 as a B50 and temps only went up by 5/6c... Ambient temp and overall airflow is what helps in my case. I might get a 955 for x-mas and compare temps... Hopefully I wont need a new cooler, if I do then it will be the hyper 212, the CCF is too bulky...