Phenom II was able to hit 5 GHz at 1.6v

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
"The first leaks were that the Phenom II could hit 4 GHz on air cooling alone, though we obviously wonder how extreme that air cooling is. Well today AMD had some actual demonstrations at their gathering, and the Phenom II was able to hit 5 GHz at 1.6v by using LN2 cooling. So with some pretty extreme cooling the Phenom II does show that it has some legs in the clockspeed department. "

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=6455

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=411

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
What good is liquid nitrogen cooling to anybody in the real world? None. I bet its still slower than an i7........

We are the AMD fanboys (bar jimmy) you dope.

We want Deneb to be a great performer too ... but the point about recycled links is getting us down.

When will people realise LN cooling is just useless crap anyway?

W want to know how well it goes on decent aftermarket air cooling, and how well it goes on water. A few might venture to a phase cooling rig ... but I have been there and killed too many parts myself.

I am more interested in air and water ... stick your fire and earth ... um woops.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

At least the guy has half-way decent audio attached to his rig - more than I can say for most.

strangerstranger - you should have a look at the CA DACMagic - I think that it would work nicely with your kit, and it's fairly affordable ($450 US).

I've been on here a couple months and its the first time I've seen it. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like some fanboys want to hear nothing of it.

Says the guy with 20 whole posts.......

Of course I'm not an AMD fan. I am no Fan. Except for MT Dew. Thats something I can be a proud fan of.

How come people seem to think i have left these forums or something.

Who are you and what do you want with my precious???

:kaola:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Fire cooling. Just can't get enough use out of those 4 elements like back in the days of Empedocles.

Seriously, you said in a nutshell what I said in an earlier thread in twice as many words. Regardless of whether I overclock (and I don't -- I like stock speed improvements with new stepping and die shrinks), I find the results a fun read, unless it's on liquid nitrogen. That's so not possible on most of our desktops and I'm sure no one uses it for day to day use.

The only purpose liquid nitrogen cooling serves is to inflate Futuremark scores to even more worthless levels.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
just because you cant get 5GHz on air cooling doesnt mean you cant get 3... i personally think you are insane if you dont overclock a Core 2

Agreed on so many levels.

No reason to get a Q6600 and not OC it at no risk to 3GHz at the minimum.

true jimmy.

Bummer my M2n mobos won't take Penom II ... stuck with 6000+'s now ... not so bad for my kids I guess. They can still game pretty well with the latest stuff.

I'd like an ES to play with but I am not so lucky this time round ... or yet.