AMD or Intel?

Last response: in CPUs

AMD or Intel?

Total: 67 votes (8 blank votes)

• AMD!!!
  • 38 %
  • Intel
  • 23 %
  • I'm not a fanboy I go for performance!
  • 41 %
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 6:52:33 AM

which company do you support more and why?

i support AMD because they were the first processors i ever used in my computers. that and their prices always seem more reasonable than Intels.

More about : amd intel

December 1, 2008 7:05:11 AM

AMD

I support AMD because their chips do what I want and cost less money then Intel's offering.

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 7:19:54 AM

Epic flame-baiting

enigma067 said:
AMD

I support AMD because their chips do what I want and cost less money then Intel's offering.

I thought it was because their chips weren't thermally unbalanced? :lol: 
Related resources
December 1, 2008 8:05:42 AM

I support AMD because of their inferior cpus :D 
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 8:15:20 AM

I support competition driving low prices and innovation.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 8:27:07 AM

mi1ez said:
I support competition driving low prices and innovation.

Hector?
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 8:32:09 AM

^ Somehow, yes

Now I'm waiting for a VIA Nano quad core... the new K10s aren't good for power efficiency...
December 1, 2008 10:39:49 AM

I support two companies delivering the same solution in different ways.

For low-cost multi-core, I like AMD.

For top-end performance I like Intel.

One major negative for me though has been switching to ATI (now AMD) for GPUs - after years of nVidia, their woeful drivers are a fair culture shock.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 11:57:12 AM

randomizer said:
Hector?

No need for that!
December 1, 2008 4:01:56 PM

Hi all,

AMD forever!!

Ah sorry I appear to have got stuck in a time continuum bubble back in 2004... :crazy: 

Bob

December 1, 2008 4:26:50 PM

I support AMD because they are Alphabetically Superior.......
December 1, 2008 4:31:20 PM

Supporting a company over another has nothing to do with being a "fanboy".

I like AMD better, its a company that play clean most of the time. Never software locked chipsets to not work with another brand's hardware and never sold cheap and old tech for a pathetic price.

sry for bad english :p 
December 1, 2008 4:33:13 PM

Gordobobo said:
Supporting a company over another has nothing to do with being a "fanboy".

I like AMD better, its a company that play clean most of the time. Never software locked chipsets to not work with another brand's hardware and never sold cheap and old tech for a pathetic price.

sry for bad english :p 

O
M
G

"AMD plays clean"

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
December 1, 2008 4:36:27 PM

Wait, there's more than one chip company????

I buy intel cause ya never know when you'd need to steal the cpu out of your desktop and put it into production as a server somewhere......I learned a long time ago that 'register compatible' doesn't always mean what you think it does.

I buy amd for low cost desktops that are primarily used for light office/surfing by friends and family......

December 1, 2008 4:59:28 PM

Personally, I use AMD A64 X2 processors because they're cheap and I've been able to upgrade two of my Asrock motherboards with AM2 processors (one originally used a Socket 754 processor and the other a Socket 939).
Right now you can get an AMD A64 X2 5000+ for under $60. Clocked at 2.6 GHz this processor will easily overclock 3.133.
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 1, 2008 5:18:51 PM

Sigh.
December 1, 2008 5:28:34 PM

Whoever has the best bang-for-the-buck, reliability, compatibility and the coolest logo.
December 1, 2008 5:28:40 PM

I started with an Intel 8080 back in 1976, a MIPS Altair with a(n) S-100 bus, 8K of RAM. 8088, 8086, 80286-386-486, Pentium... Intel, Cyrix, AMD, ALL built with the X86 standard as a foundation... Sure everything and nothing has changed, buy what fits your budget and experience. Does it do the job? Does it play the game? Does it blow your skirt up? Then you must be happy!
December 1, 2008 5:29:25 PM

iggybeans said:
Personally, I use AMD A64 X2 processors because they're cheap and I've been able to upgrade two of my Asrock motherboards with AM2 processors (one originally used a Socket 754 processor and the other a Socket 939).
Right now you can get an AMD A64 X2 5000+ for under $60. Clocked at 2.6 GHz this processor will easily overclock 3.133.

So, you're saying you put am2 processors into socket 754 and socket 939 motherboards?

A WITCH!!!!
December 1, 2008 6:17:32 PM

I like intel better because it works in the motherboard I have.
December 1, 2008 6:39:54 PM

Quote:
I agree. It seems so many intel supporters badly want AMD to go under and surely thats the last thing we want right?
If your value oriented and want the best for your hard earned dollar, go with a AMD platform. If you want high overclocking ability and have a little more to spend, go with a intel setup.

concerning reasonably high overclocking on air, my opinion is that you can get more performance per dollar with intel.

but, for the tightest budgets, i'll throw together an amd build anyday

(built an amd x2 3600 on an ecs 780g motherboard for a friend not long ago)
December 1, 2008 7:34:14 PM

i liked amd when their x2 was the king but ever since core 2 duo release intel has been the better performance. and now with prices so low on teh 45nm intel chips (e5200 to be exact) why go AMD when you can get a cpu that beats out all AMD processors (including more expensive quadcores) in games and some applications for $80 or less? not to mention 50% + overclockability?

I use my computer for games, right now intel has the best game performance, and with their wolfdale budget processors only about 10% behind the high end wolfdale C2D in performance but for less than half the price... u wont find better.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2008 8:58:08 PM

mi1ez said:
No need for that!

It seems you have not been enlightened to the meaning behind why I called you Hector. You sound just like him.
December 1, 2008 9:15:57 PM

randomizer said:
It seems you have not been enlightened to the meaning behind why I called you Hector. You sound just like him.

Or maybe he does know... Oh the horror, the horror!! :crazy: 

After all he is the CEO of one of the most advance tech companies in the world - who likes to be pictured beside a loaf of bread... :lol: 

Bob
December 2, 2008 1:53:08 AM

I'd personally wait right now for any CPU Deneb is around the corner and Intel's CPU has a TLB right now. I want to go 45nm Quad-Core and I'm wilingto wait for Phenom II.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 2:25:32 AM

blackpanther26 said:
I'd personally wait right now for any CPU Deneb is around the corner and Intel's CPU has a TLB right now. I want to go 45nm Quad-Core and I'm wilingto wait for Phenom II.

Yes, Intel's CPU has a TLB. All modern CPUs have one. On the other hand, what it doesn't have is a serious TLB bug.

a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 2:50:25 AM

^ Only the B2 Phenoms and everything before it (with L3) had a TLB bug... So what? It only crashes on extreme VM workloads and stuff like that, stuff we don't even imagine doing...

Also, an Intel release document states some kinda TLB bug with the L3 too! I dunno if this is true or not, so I'll wait it out.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 2:57:27 AM

If it's in Intel documentation then it's true. The question is "does it matter"?
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 3:04:35 AM

No, probably not, its fud til proven by a magazine like APC or a site like Anandtech
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 3:07:17 AM

The Nehalem bug is quite minor. It was also fixed with a bios update already.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2008 5:41:32 AM

That's cool
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2008 7:13:30 PM

I support who ever has the best performance for my money. I also support competition. VIA FTW!!!!
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2008 7:16:12 PM

iggybeans said:

Oh yeah? I bet my E2180 @ 3.2-3.3Ghz is better :kaola:  And my E2180 is only $70.

:Not flaming you btw, just for lolz.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2008 11:46:15 PM

Being relatively new to the tech part of the computing (ie... built my first system 4 years ago). Went with AMD... So now I have to "go with what I know", even though they they are not on the leading edge right now.
Could that change in the near future? Only time will tell. And seems to be what we're all dying to find out. By March the proof should be in the pudding.
December 5, 2008 10:06:53 AM

mtyermom said:
So, you're saying you put am2 processors into socket 754 and socket 939 motherboards?

A WITCH!!!!

I guess he is just making confusion with the socket.
There is A64 dual core for 939 socket and he never said he used dual core on 754, I think he meant he upgraded with a new processor, thats all.

Ya AMD does play clean if compared to Intel, you will never see them overprice a chip, specially with old technology.

Are you sure u meant intel has a better cost benefit then AMD, in any means ? OMG ! :p  Intel has the best processors but u need the $ to pay for it - u can get a high end AMD CPU for the cost of a low end Intel CPU.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2008 11:03:16 AM

^
Quote:
SPEC CLARIFICATION AAJ1 was initially added due to an issue on the Intel® Core 2 Duo processor which was previously corrected with a BIOS update; this issue does not impact the Nehalem Family of CPUs. There are errata on the Intel® Core i7 processor that relate to the TLB. These all relate to improper translations or error reporting, and all of those that impact functionality have been fixed via BIOS updates prior to Core i7 launch.

There is NO 10-20% performance hit for the BIOS update.
December 5, 2008 12:57:54 PM

blackpanther26 said:
if you think it was minor read this.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15979
Not sure what your point is... the article doesn't seem to contend the notion that the issue is minor (I didn't read most of the reader comments, though).
December 6, 2008 1:26:32 AM

Quote:
improper TLB invalidation may result in unpredictable system behavior, such as system hangs or incorrect data

That is about Core i7 I think becuase it is right after Core i7. Like people said you probaly won't even activate the TLB bug.

Quote:
the AMD TLB erratum caused data corruption and system hangs in periods of high CPU utilization, and AMD halted shipments of quad-core Opterons for months because of it

Is this why there is no Xeon Nehalem's out yet?
December 6, 2008 8:22:48 PM

I would like to support AMD more, but for my own personal rig, I pursue whatever gets more performance. If I'm building a computer for family or friends, I'll go AMD all the way because of their cheap dual-core CPUs. In terms of price/performance, AMD definitely wins under $100 and their Phenoms are truly not all that bad. However, this is only true at stock...for myself, an overclocker, Intel is a better choice. At stock, my $84 e5200 is about equal to a $76 AMD 6000+. With just a small overclock, however, the e5200 jumps ahead of any AMD dual-core.
December 7, 2008 7:44:07 AM

well the Phenom II is claimed to reach 6.3GHz on LN2.
December 7, 2008 9:05:13 AM

blackpanther26 said:
well the Phenom II is claimed to reach 6.3GHz on LN2.

A real-world overclock on water (without TEC) or good aircooling is what counts. If it can hit 4Ghz then AMD is back in the running...

Bob
December 7, 2008 9:06:30 AM

jsc said:
Sigh.

Yes? You called?

I don't support ambiguous and unclear fud and possible coverup about neeheelame 7 TLB errata.
Nor monopoly.
Nor ongoing multiple antitrust issues.
Nor spinners from or for spintel.
Nor the planted employboys

AMD ONLY. - there is no other option

Phenom II has already clocked higher than any cpu ever. And it's not even released yet.

I am definitely a fan of AMD platform = Phenom II cpu, 790 GX or FX chipset, HD4830 or HD-4850 or HD-4870.

The idea of a triple core is fascinating.

The new duallys are going to be interesting.

GENUINE (not imitation like spintel) 64 bit cpu's for almost a decade.

Integrated Memory Controllers for almost a decade.

The Future Fusion cpu+gpu on one chip.

65nm and 45 nm

Superior upgrade path. New DENEB will work in your old AM2+ board.

more ....

Derek has replaced Hector as CEO

A SMARTER CHOICE - you gotta be an amoral dolt to sport spintel

spintel HAS NO VIDEO - lamerabee is 2+ yr out

AMD does directx 10 POINT ONE ! and more games are going there, and windoze 7 is too - and then dx 11 which is related to 10.1

AMD = far superior innovation.

more ....

new FAB coming in New York will employ thousands.

all this with no money - compare that to spintel

I try to deal with facts about AMDbased on my personal research not horse manure spin like most of the lamers here that suck spintel's ..............

more ....
December 7, 2008 9:15:24 AM

randomizer said:
If it's in Intel documentation then it's true. The question is "does it matter"?

It has nothing to do with documents.

it's a cpu

moron - that's the smokescreen they want you yo eat

they are not making any clear stements about it

AM"BUG"UOUS AMBIGUITY

FESS UP

nice fud randum
December 7, 2008 9:18:45 AM

cjl said:
The Nehalem bug is quite minor. It was also fixed with a bios update already.

got proof to substantiate this compromise

software to fix hardware - condom

may occasionally cause what?
December 7, 2008 10:16:02 AM

sighq2, You sound like a certain fanboy from amdzone that has been talking about becoming more proactive in his support for AMD. IS THERE NOTHING MORE INTERESTING GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE?

People, Spot the viral fanboys.
December 7, 2008 11:20:04 AM

who really cares about allegiance to a corporation? they dont care about you lol. think they will buy your lunch of your down on your luck or put a star next to your name in the fanboi list? buy what suits your personal needs when your ready to purchase and dont let brand loyalty sell you short. brand loyalty in tech products is really stupid. the "best" product is rarely made by the same company year in year out. i have had good and bad experiences with just about every manufacturer that makes computer and server components. spare me the politics of big guy vs little guy in this arena. it means nothing to me when i am trying to build the best machine possible at the given time. they dont help me pay my bills so i could care less how they pay theirs.
December 7, 2008 4:23:02 PM

i support AMD cause i have **** load of their stocks =(
December 7, 2008 7:53:40 PM

Quote:
sighQ2:

Phenom II has already clocked higher than any cpu ever. And it's not even released yet.
I try to deal with facts about AMDbased on my personal research

Facts about AMD do not let you make claims about all CPUs.

The highest clocking x86 CPU is the Pentium 4, which reached 8 GHz: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=159553. 7 GHz was broken three years ago.

You'll argue the Pentium 4 isn't doing as much work as the PII, and I'll retort, PII thus far doesn't seem to do as much work as Yorkfield, either.

Wolfdale has hit 6.5 GHz. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21... And 6.3 GHz happens to be the Yorkfield record - validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=438491. These are full overclocks, no disabled or lower-multiplier cores, for comparison purposes.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with documents.

it's a cpu

Without reading Intel documents, who says i7 has anything wrong with the translation lookaside buffer? That's right, your entire argument is a certain interpretation of Intel-furnished documents that assumes trust. I dare you to take a retail i7 and prove it has a TLB malfunction.

What happened with Barcelona was they left a bug undocumented. Oh, did AMD try to downplay it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/opteron_delays_... Headliners like "Doesn't affect <2.4 GHz speed bins," "Affects virtualization" (people then inferred, only affects virtualization), "No stop shipment because haven't shipped in volume," and "Guy who writes erratum documentation is on vacation" are certainly not indicative of honesty, in my books.

Think that over. It was undocumented, and volume was limited. No third-party came forward with an independent discovery. It was leaked by an insider. Think again before you claim a company many times the size and shipping actual volume would be able to contain leaks on a bug worthy of mention.

Quote:
GENUINE (not imitation like spintel) 64 bit cpu's for almost a decade.

Integrated Memory Controllers for almost a decade.

2003 to 2008 is almost a decade? Opteron was officially released on April 22, 2003, as a 2P part at 1.4, 1.6, or 1.8 GHz; so it's been barely over half of the decade you claim. Wasn't that part of your AMD facts? Wristwatch set incorrectly?

Also, AMD may be first to an IMC and have 5 years experience over Intel, but Intels first ever mass production of IMCs so far appears a success - great bandwidth, low latency, no serious bugs. What did AMD do in those 5 years? It bumped up the channels from one to two. It stumbled a bit going from DDR to DDR2. Right off, Intel started with three channels and DDR3, so this IMC is already leading the benchmarks. AMD doesn't have a three+ channel part on their DT roadmap.

Quote:
A real-world overclock on water (without TEC) or good aircooling is what counts. If it can hit 4Ghz then AMD is back in the running...

AMD did a comparatively lousy "me too" and I also hope they do not focus on LN2 to the exclusion of regular cooling. When Penryn was introduced last year, Intel brought an overclocker on stage to present Yorkfield bench world records at around 5.5 GHz on LN2. A year later, AMD has just done the same, with Deneb at 6.3 GHz (minus the actual record performances, but it's not the one offering a $1000 DT chip). Problem is, LN2 isn't for the regular user with a $400 budget limit, while it's standard fare when setting world records, so they gave us a big publicity stunt, but not much of a meaningful message (it has a bit more practical headroom than the latest Phenom I's).

Fortunately, both CPU companies are hardly silly enough to cater to LN2 at the expense of regular cooling. While everyone was raving about the LN2 results, AMD did have more ordinary setups on display. And if you look at how the i7 scales with temperature, it's as if Intel ignored LN2, and their employee at XS confirms the focus on regular headroom.
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2008 9:42:32 PM

You lost your credibility right about... here:

sighQ2 said:
Phenom II has already clocked higher than any cpu ever.

sighQ2 said:

AMD = far superior innovation.

Haha, you have watched that sliced bread video way too many times eh?
!