At Last - 45nm Shanghai vs. 45nm Xeon

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
So the numbers are finally in...

AMD's quad-core Opterons have certainly had a rough life to this point. The original "Barcelona" Opterons were hamstrung by delays, unable to meet clock frequency and performance expectations, and plagued by a show-stopper bug that forced AMD largely to stop shipments of the chips for months while waiting for a new revision, as we first reported. Once the revised Opterons made it into the market, they faced formidable competition from Intel's 45nm "Harpertown" Xeons, whose best-in-class performance and much-improved power efficiency have stolen quite of a bit of the Opteron's luster.

AMD is looking to reverse its fortunes with the introduction of a brand-new version of the quad-core Opteron, code-named Shanghai, which has been manufactured using a new, smaller 45-nanometer fabrication process that should bring gains in power efficiency and clock speeds. Shanghai also has the considerable benefit of being the second generation of a new processor design, and AMD has taken the opportunity to tweak this design in innumerable ways, large and small, in order to improve its performance and, one would hope, allow it more fully to meet its potential. The result is an Opteron processor with higher clock speeds, improved performance per clock, and lower power consumption—a better proposition in almost every way than Barcelona.

Will it be enough to make the Opteron truly competitive with Intel's latest Xeons? We've been testing systems for the past couple of weeks in Damage Labs in order to find out.

sandra-cache-bw-256mb.gif

cpuz-latency.gif

specjbb.gif

specjbb-total.gif

Read more at the Source.... TechReport

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I agree with Jimmy and AMDfangirl. I want to see Deneb vs. Penryn and Deneb vs. Nehalem on the desktop. If Deneb beats Kentsfield and basically matches Penryn, I'll consider that a win considering the state of AMD. B2 was fixed by B3 and B3 should be optimized by a die shrink to Deneb.

Place me in the category of wanting a Deneb, but not buying in 2009. I'm only thinking of a 4830 to hold me over till fall 2009, as I've had issues with my 3870x2 the past couple of weeks. Started a thread about it over on the GPU board.

Can't wait to see the June refresh of AMD GPU's.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well if the best Deneb processor can beat out a Q9650 and overclock to 4.0 Ghz, I'll buy one. It's very unlikely, yes, but I am not in much of a hurry to upgrade my E8600 that tends to be @ around 4.3-5 Ghz depending on my mood.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Most Folks here will buy the best processor for the best price.....
There are some that are Fanboys of one or the other....

Intel is better now.
Pre Core2Duo, AMD was better.
Hopefully AMD will be more competitive in the future.

When AMD was better, folks assumed I was an AMD fanboy.
Now they assume I'm an Intel Fanboy.

Personally, I'm a "ME" Fanboy.
Whatever serves me best.........I like.........

I just shake my heads at those who will only buy one or the other out of some sense of righteousness.
It's not like these multi-billion dollar companies are small mom-pop shops that will care about you in the least.

Act in your own self-interest, not a multi-billion dollar corp. (Which both AMD and Intel are....)

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Actually I said that because it would be worth my money at that point and I would love to overclock a Phenom II with a SB750. My last AMD chip was an Athlon 64 3400+, and before that a Athlon 3200+, so it's been awhile since I owned an AMD processor. It has nothing to do with fanboyism or supporting AMD. It has everything to do with myself being addicted to pushing computer parts FAR past what they should go to!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Intel's Server Chips have really lagged in memory intensive apps which is why we use AMD Chips for our VM Servers. However, the new Nehalem chips will likely change from a significant trailer to a leader based on initial tests.

It will be real curious how this effects overall performance and how other changes in the CPU effect other results.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

My self interest is in having a great chipset with the best IGP for my money. That choice proved to be a good one last weekend, when constant black screens that started in LOTRO but showed up when booting into Vista (along with extremely loud fan noises) led to my removing the 3870x2 so I could still use the PC -- and play LOTRO.

The graphics aren't that bad, considering the meshugge game probably only used one of the GPU's in the two GPU card (LOTRO doesn't like Crossfire or SLI). Were the issues just in LOTRO, I'd blame Turbine updates like an AMD moderator did on their forums.

At any rate, I'll just RMA it just in case while the warranty's still got two months.

The only problems with an Intel build is Intel's IGP, though keeping a $50 discrete card around for emergencies can make that a non-issue. Otherwise, we just have to put up with the second best CPU's in favor of the best chipsets and IGP's. Nvidia's also a better choice than Intel when integrated graphics are concerned.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Intel's processors rock! Nvidia IGPs rock! Put them together as the Geforce 9400 chipset and the Core 2 Duo E7200 and you've got a hell of a nice PC...

And thats what.... with Tri channel DDR3 right? The server chips have quad channel. So that will up it a bit. Thanks for the info though.

Yea I know. I want to see what it does to shake up the market. Shanghai PWNs Penryn, especially in memory intensive apps, but how it fares against Nehalem is a whole other story.....

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

While the E7200 beats my triple cripple in games (barely) it doesn't beat it in other applications that benefit from a third core:

Games:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e7300-pdc-e5200_6.html#sect0

Apps:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e7300-pdc-e5200_7.html#sect0

Note that I don't do iTunes. I'm still a CD dinosaur with some LP's.

You're right overall, but futureproofing at the low end does mean triple or quad vs. a dual.

Is the Inquirer right about issues with Nvidia's new chipset? Sad if it's true:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/29/nvidia-heat-causing-macbooks

According to the article, Apple's getting the cherry picked revisions and PC board makers are getting the rest. It seems playing games get the chipsets to tank in notebooks with black screens.

No one answered on my GPU thread about the 3870x2, but I recall hearing reports of some bad components on partner cards (not the GPU) that cause failures like the black screen that I thought was originally a LOTRO update issue, but then turned up immediately in Vista. So I'm RMA'ing the card and getting a 4830 in a few weeks.