Is it safe to tuck power supply cables under mobo?

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
This is from the Asus Maximus II section of the recent 11-Way P45 Motherboard Shootout.

The Maximus II Formula puts its 8-pin and 24-pin power connectors along the top and front edges, which make for easy cable routing to a top-mounted power supply. Builders stuck with a bottom-mounted power supply will appreciate that the 8-pin connector is close enough to the top edge to pull a cable up from behind the motherboard tray, but any cable folded over the top would cover the latch.

So I'm guessing you'll be fine. The wires are insulated, which by definition means there is no chance of them creating a short (unless they're damaged of course).

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I still wouldn't. Get some zip ties, you can get a pack for a couple dollars at a walmart or hardware store, tie up your wiring toward the front of the case with those. But I would not risk a mobo for the sake of neatness.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

pull a cable up from behind the motherboard tray are the key words here.

I would not chance it. Not worth the hassle of a motherboard replacement. However if you can run wire behind the motherboard tray, by all means, do it.