Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 4000 series Physics processing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2008 7:49:51 PM

Alright so the red team has been advertising about their 4000 series cards being able to do physics processing for a while now and it's even confirmed here that it uses Havok API to do physics rendering. The question is do we need to install a special type of drivers like Nvidia does to enable physics processing? Can we assume that it is enabled by default?
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2008 8:17:28 PM

it should be included within there drivers but im not 100% sure.
physics is sure taking along time becoming standard.
October 5, 2008 8:36:36 PM

The last time I checked: Havok API is on done on the central processing unit.
Related resources
October 6, 2008 12:33:14 AM

pcgamer12 said:

So why is it that ATI is advertising that ATI 4000 series cards can take advantage of havok?

I've tried to look this up on google but I haven't found any articles talking about this issue.
October 6, 2008 12:36:20 AM

pcgamer12 said:

murdoc said:
So why is it that ATI is advertising that ATI 4000 series cards can take advantage of havok?

I've tried to look this up on google but I haven't found any articles talking about this issue.

Yes, it runs on cpu. There was Havok FX for gpu, but it was canceled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_(software)#Havok_FX

Not sure why ATI advertise it as such.
October 6, 2008 5:30:37 AM

o damn and I just bought a 4870 =( Noooo!!! In just 3 months my card will start going out of date!
October 6, 2008 8:24:53 AM

I had a PhysX card even before Nvidia aquired Ageia.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 11:02:36 AM

The 5xxx series isnt expected before May at the earliest, and it shouldnt be exclusive to the 5 series either. I think itll come for all capable cards, probably the 2xxx series on up
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 1:09:37 PM

Itsn't it obvious: Intel coded Havok to take advantage of ATI cards, so every Havok enhanced game can't be used as a benchmark now! [/MockCrysisNvidiaArgument]
!