New Build, no POST, motherboard down??

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Hey all,
just got in all new parts for my first build, and I think the MB is shot, but I want some experienced input before battling an RMA.

After installing all the parts, I powered on and everything seems powered (case and cpu fans spinning, dvd drive opens, hdd spins up). However, the monitor is blank and says "no input.". So, I tried stripping the system down bit by bit, but since the MB doesn't have integrated video I needed the vid card plugged in to see if I had video... but no display of any sort.

Now all I have is the MB/CPU powered up with no RAM... and I get no "beeps" or anything. Only thing is, I don't think my MB has onboard sound, and the case speaker looks to be a piece of junk (the internal speaker header has 3 pins: vcc, gnd, and signal. The case speaker only has two wires which ignores ground.

A thought: the MB came with jumpers set to not clear the cmos. Should I try to clear the cmos? I dont wanna screw with things unless I have to, though I saw it mentioned in other threads.

Also, occasionally, the system will not power down if I hold down the power button, neither on the case nor the MB.

Any advice on things to try?

Also, I don't know which DIMMS to put the RAM into for dual channel support. It has orange/yellow orange/yellow... if that helps.

MB: ECS P45T-A
CPU: E5200
RAM: Mushkin 996587 2x2GB 1.8V
Graphics: XFX GeForce 9800GT
PSU: OCZ 600 SXS
Monitor: Asus VW223T 22" LCD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 640GB
Case: Thermaltek M9
Optical: Lite-On Super All Write

Thanks for your help!!!!

Did you connect both the 24 pin power connector and the 4 pin located near the CPU?

Did you connect the power to the GPU?

Did you install only those motherboard standoffs that align with your motherboard screw holes?

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
WOW.

Yup, I missed the 4pin near the CPU. I'm assuming that was the problem, as it beeps beautifully now!

Thanks for helping an idiot :)

Any ideas on which DIMMS I should put the RAM in?

^ +1 to Proximon.

I can attest to the motherboard standoffs. If you have to many standoffs behind your motherboard (ie unused ones that can touch the board) you can short circuit the motherboard, rendering it useless.

If the 24PIN power connector wasn't plugged in, I doubt he'd get all the fans to start up. The mobo would have no power.

Check the 4pin (or 8pin depending on board) CPU power connector (this is usually to the top left of the CPU itself). And check to make sure the PCI-E (6pin) power connector is plugged into the video card.

As far as memory goes. Usually the closest memory slot to the CPU itself is the first slot you want to use. If that slot was orange, you'd put the second memory stick in the other orange slot.

So, if you count the slots 1, 2, 3, 4 (1 being closest to CPU, 4 farthest away), you'd put the first two memory sticks into Slot 1 and Slot 3. (otherwise refer to your motherboard's manual incase it is different)

:sol:

Just to add, I have recently seen just the opposite. It was an AMD board and I don't recall the specifics, but the manual claimed that dual channel mode happened in opposite colored slots. Just do what the manual says and if it doesn't work out you'll be able to tell.

It's always slot 1 and 3 though, far as I know.