Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Video card question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2008 12:23:38 AM

So I just bought this the other day. I was told by HP that it has a 350W PSU. I'm curious as to what the best graphics card I could get in the 200$ range that would go well with the system and not be bottlenecked by the PSU.
I mainly play WoW and will be playing Diablo 3 eventually. Any help would be appreciated.

Bundle information
The m8517c-b desktop PC bundle (part number KQ506AA) includes:
m8517c Desktop PC, part number KQ505AA
w2408h 24" lcd wide-screen monitor with integrated speakers
Hardware
Base processor
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) 2.4 GHz (95W)
1066 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
Intel G33 Express
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: IPIBL-LB
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Benicia-GL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 5 GB
Maximum allowed 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)

4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
750 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
Function Maximum speed
DVD-RAM Up to 12X
DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X
DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X
DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X
CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

Modem
56K bps data/fax modem
Video Graphics
Integrated graphics
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio
Realtek ALC 888S chipset
Supports up to 8 audio channels
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100/1000 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
IBM Microdrive
Secure Digital (SD)
mini-SD
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)
MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)
MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick Pro Duo
SmartMedia
xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
15-in-1 (4 slot) One
1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One

I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
VGA One
USB Four
1394a One
LAN One
SPDIF out (coaxial) One
SPDIF in One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone) One Each

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI One (None available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Two (Two available)

Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" Two (One available)
3.5" Two (One available)
Personal Media Drive One (One available)

Keyboard and mouse
HP wireless keyboard
Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
HP wireless mouse/receiver set

More about : video card question

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 12:50:01 AM

The HD4670 or the 9500GT because of the power supply. You'll have to upgrade the power supply first before you can upgrade the GPU.
a c 164 U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 12:50:30 AM

I don't think I would go higher then the 4670. Even that might be pushing it. 350W simply isn't very much.
Related resources
October 6, 2008 12:52:34 AM

ok thats what I was afraid of but thanks all the same :) 
a c 164 U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 3:09:02 AM

Don't feel to bad. The 4670 is a great mid range card. You should be able to play most games as high as 1600x1200/1680x1050, and even use AA/AF. Its no high end card, but it should provide a good game playing experience.
October 6, 2008 3:35:27 AM

^ very true...and having all that ram and that quad core will definitely help out...just wish you could OC that bad boy, but oh well...
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 3:37:48 AM

I'd have no problem if it was my system with a 9600GT which would give you a bit better performance then the HD4670.
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
you may need to use the 2-molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter provided with the graphic card. Use different cables if you do.
*edit* i picked the EVGA since it exhausts hot air from the back of the case and stock HP cooling can be a problem, and you'll probably have to move a couple of SATA connectors to give either graphic card the room to fit.
*additional edit* if you do go with the HD4670 (which is a good choice also) go with a card that exhauts hot air from the back like this HIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 6, 2008 3:38:08 AM

sicho said:
So I just bought this the other day.

What's the other day?

If we're talking 30-days, I would return it and build your own.

There's tons of forums to ask questions in and plenty of install tutorial videos on youtube.

Several reasons to build your own (over the HP):

1 - You won't have a tiny case that is hot and stuffed.

2 - You can overclock your CPU when you buy a motherboard (HP, Dell and every other company locks their motherboards BIOS)

3 - A $65 PSU like this can power any SINGLE GPU video card:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-550w-atx-power-suppl...

4 - Individual parts have longer warranties than what HP/Dell offer.

5 - RAM (memory) and hard drives are dirt cheap right now, as are CPU's.

6 - If you don't do video editing/encoding, you don't really need a quad core CPU.

You can build a great gaming PC for $600:
$100 - Intel e7200
$50 - 4gb DDR2-800
$65 - Corsair 550w power supply
$85+ P35/P45 motherboard
$79 - Western Digital 640gb AAKS hard drive
$25 - DVD/RW burner
$35+ Mid-tower PC case
$140 - ATi 4850 video card

Check out sites like fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net for great deals. I got an eVGA 9600GT SSC (super super clocked) for $65 shipped a couple of weeks ago after rebate (that's already posted).
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 6, 2008 4:14:00 AM

Yeah, I'd say go with a Radeon 4670. I suppose you could even go with a 9600GT, but that would be pushing it. Usually HP will put in the weakest power supply they can get away with that will, on average, just outlive the computers warranty period :D . As such going with something like an 8800GT would probably be pushing it a little too far.
October 6, 2008 4:14:26 AM

"The other day" was Oct. 2nd.
After browsing the forums on here prior to my purchase I had pretty much convinced myself to build one. However a few things changed my mind:

1. I was able to put $425 on the Sam's credit card, the comp sold for $999.99 :( 

2. The 24" LCD was a "big" attraction, previously I had a 5yr old Compaq with a 3000+ AMD and a 19" CRT

3. I understand I don't currently "need" a quad core but I'm under the assumption that in the future games will be able to better use them. As far as video editing I will be installing Avid on the comp, moreso to play around with than any professional editing :D 

edit: Oh and it looks like the HP guy I talked to was wrong, its only a 300w PSU :fou: 
October 6, 2008 10:26:38 AM

sicho said:
"The other day" was Oct. 2nd.
After browsing the forums on here prior to my purchase I had pretty much convinced myself to build one. However a few things changed my mind:

1. I was able to put $425 on the Sam's credit card, the comp sold for $999.99 :( 

2. The 24" LCD was a "big" attraction, previously I had a 5yr old Compaq with a 3000+ AMD and a 19" CRT

3. I understand I don't currently "need" a quad core but I'm under the assumption that in the future games will be able to better use them. As far as video editing I will be installing Avid on the comp, moreso to play around with than any professional editing :D 

edit: Oh and it looks like the HP guy I talked to was wrong, its only a 300w PSU :fou: 

Whoah there, you didn't mention you have a 24" monitor (1900x1200 resoltion, right?)...scratch that, it was buried in all the technical specs you posted.

I gotta say this changes the game. I high res 24" monitor is going to need an 8800gt minimum if you plan to play with some eye candy turned on in any modern games. We're talking 2.3 million pixels the video card has to process.

And that requires a new PSU. And then your case is tiny (my 9600gt barely fits in my mid-tower case which is MUCH larger than HP/Dell cases).

Newegg offers a credit card...
October 7, 2008 4:46:41 PM

Noya said:
Newegg offers a credit card...

oh god...dont tell him that...hes now gonna be in debt for the rest of his life...
October 7, 2008 5:50:19 PM

ahslan said:
oh god...dont tell him that...hes now gonna be in debt for the rest of his life...

That shouldn't be a problem as I doubt my credit is good enough for any serious debt. I've pretty much decided to return the comp and build one though. It took 3 emails for the HP "customer support" to even admit that it only has a 300W psu. They told me I was wrong in the first 2 emails. So I'm just gonna return it to Sam's and try my hand at building one.
October 8, 2008 3:28:54 AM

...smart choice
a c 164 U Graphics card
October 8, 2008 3:35:55 AM

If its a good price on a good screen, it might be cheaper to simply replace the PSU and GPU. If the case is to small, you can try moving it to a larger one.
October 8, 2008 3:55:43 AM

I do like the 24" but after replacing PSU, buying a GPU and case I would have roughly $1,400+ into it.

Going with this build which seems pretty good http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256598-31-build-lower... I'll be at around $750 after rebates with plenty of room to upgrade and OC.
!