How to fix windows xp corrupt for dummies

wizrdz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello,
Question #1. My pc gave me the option to update my kodak printer, when I went to update it, it gave me an error. After that the screen went blank and said:windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
When I went to reboot it with the cd, it says its been rebooted and to push R for reset, when I do this I get the same error that it's missing or corrupt. I had installed more memory than what it originally had years ago, could that be why it's not rebooting????

Question #2
How can I get into windows to make a backup copy so that I don't lose all my information, when I reboot my computer? I found this (Start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.) but don't know how to do it.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Answer #1. No, your Operating system has corrupted possibly from the Kodak driver / software. The memory shouldn't affect the computer in that way.

Answer #2. Using your windows XP recovery disk (Which I hope you still have...). Try booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key when your computer starts up. Just tap it and select the safe mode option. Then you should be able to backup your data to an external drive.

If that doesn't work then you could boot to you WinXP recovery disk and choose the repair option. This will basically reinstall just windows and leave your data alone (Except for most programs wont work right and will need to be reinstalled)

Or, you could also try a linux boot disk (LiveCD) There are a few examples of these disks in the forum so check it out. This will basically run an OS off of a CD so you can access your files.

Lastly your OS is going to have to be reinstalled. Im sorry. Boot to your windows XP Recovery disk and now you have two options. You could formatt the partition, essentially deleting everything on your Hard Drive or you could just install over your current OS. All the files and Data should go into a folder in C:/Windows.old recover your data and begin updating / reinstalling. Good Luck and ask for clarification if you need it. *Ahem* best answer....

wizrdz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

wizrdz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thank you Wanamingo. I just remembered that after attempting to try to update the software, my computer froze. I than clicked on CTRL/ALT/DELETE that's when my screen went blank and I received the error/corrupt message. I have tried to install the recovery disc, but I continue to get the same error message. I tried to work off of SAFE MODE, but when I click on safe mode, I get the same error/corrupt message. So, I'm assuming I can't save my data unless I can get it to operate correct.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hmmm the OS may be very damaged, still try to do some research into rescue discs. The easiest way is to download Ubuntu and burn an ISO of it (all of this is explained on their website) When you boot to it select the Try Ubuntu before installing. This will let the Ubuntu OS be run from the CD drive. So as long as your file system is still there and you know how to navigate to your root then you should be able to access your data.

wizrdz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thank you for your response. Had to reboot with cd, unfortunately, I wasn't able to save the data, but at least I got it working again. Once again, thank you for your help.