EP45-UD3P CDROM Problem

bsiver

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Hello everyone,

I recently bought parts to put together a new system and I'm running into some trouble. I have a 500GB WD Hard Drive that is Sata, and a Sony DRU-810A CDROM/DVD Drive. When I boot up the system, the CDROM drive is not detected. However, removing the IDE cable from the drive allows me to open and close the tray. Anyone know of how I can get the drive to be detected? I have tried moved the jumper switch all around, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. here's the rest of the system specs:
MEM 2Gx2 GSkill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
VGA SAPPHIRE HD4870 512M
CPU INTEL E7300 2.66G 775
HD 500G WD 7K 16M SATA2
PSU ROSEWILL RD500-2DB 500W
MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R P45 775

bilbat

Splendid
Cable:

MOBO end> |------------|-----| <far end
MOBO end> A-----------B-----C

First, and foremost, you need to know what kind of IDE cable you have: it can be a 'cable select' cable (which, in most, but not all cases, can be identified by the fact that it will have its connectors labelled 'master' (usually position 'C' above) and 'slave' (usually position 'B'); or, it can be a 'jumper select' cable, in which case nothing is labelled... If you're using the included GB blus cable, I think (but am not positive, as I'm using round cables) that it's a 'jumper select'...

I tried to look up the jumpering diagram for your drive, but Sony appears to be more inteested in 'hustling' sales on their web-site, not providing support for their already-purchased products... Shouldn't be confusing, though - should be four clearly labelled jumper positions, of which three are of interest: 'Csel', 'Mstr', & 'Slv'

If it's a 'cable select' (CSel), you need to put your drive jumper in the corresponding 'Csel' position, and plug it into the 'master' ('C' position) connector...
If it's not labelled, you need to put your jumper in the 'Mstr' position, and, once again, plug it into the 'C' connector (actually, it doesn't matter with this cable - it should work on either 'B' or 'C'...

Check in your BIOS that:
Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) is 'ENABLED'
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) is 'IDE'

Have you loaded the 'chipset drivers' from the CD provided with the MOBO? Not sure if they are actually required on this MOBO, but can't hurt - you will need them for other things anyhow...

bsiver

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
hello and thank you so much for your extremely thorough response!

I am using the included GB cable, and it is jumper select. I have set the drive to master and plugged the IDE cable into the 'C' location. The BIOS settings are as you have specified, and the drive still fails to open/close, as well as not being detected.

Unfortunately, the chipset drivers are included on a CD-ROM, thus I have no way to access them =/

I have also tried a different IDE cable from a previous build, still to no avail.

bsiver

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
update: I tried a 3rd IDE cable, and now the CD-ROM drive light lights up when plugged into the IDE port (something new), but I am unable to open or close the drive after the BIOS loads... I am extremely confused.

bilbat

Splendid
Yikes! I gotta laugh - never thought of THAT - the worst case of 'Catch 22' - can't see the drive 'cause I gots no drivers; can't load the drivers (or the OS, for that matter) 'till I sees the drive! I did notice, when I did a search to see if I could easily find the jumpering, this particular drive appears to have been problematic to a fairly large number of individuals; there doesn't, however, seem (at least to my eye) to be any common thread that might indicate WHAT the exact problem might be... May be time to bite the bullet and hit NewEgg up for a new drive! Nice SATA LightScribes are roughly $22...

bsiver

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Haha yeah, talk about the ultimate Catch 22. Now there's a solution -- went out to Tiger Direct today and bought a new Sony SATA DVD burner; works like a charm. I really appreciate the help you've given me!

Thanks a ton!