New system won't display picture

darkeme

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Please help I put together my new system today and it will not work correctly. When I press the power button everything is slow (Cpu and case fans) and there is no display on my screen, although I can open both dvd drives without a problem. I know nothing is DOA because my graphics card and motherboard both have lights to show if it is getting power to it. Sometimes when I turn it on it all shuts off (case lights and all) and power returns a few seconds later. I will post all my specs below and if anyone can help me please do.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz w/ stock fan
NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W
EVGA e-Geforce 9800 gtx+
Maxtor 250gb drive (Unsure of specs)
Not sure what my 2nd drive is but its 160gb
2 Pioneer Dvd drives (Not sure of details)
ASUS P5Q Pro
15 in 1 Card reader
3 Gigs Kingston Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Hanns·G HB-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

the_mystery_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
That PSU looks a little weak for a 9800GTX+ and an E8400. One 16A line and one 17A line? Ouch. Also, did you plug in both power connectors on the video card? Many will refuse to start up if only one connector is in, and if your system lacks an IGP, it cannot POST without a video card (I'm not really sure what IGP boards do when you try to boot them with a dead/unpowered card)

All the lights and being able to open the DVD drives really only shows your power supply turned on correctly.

darkeme

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It turns out it was just a bad stick of ram, it runs fine but now I am having a horrible amount of problems with windows vista. Can't get any updates to work they all fail (forgot error code but searched it and go no where). Sometimes the screen starts to tweak out and I have to hold the power button and get alot of different errors when installing programs (couldn't even get my graphics cards drivers to install). Just to let you know I have reinstalled vista 3 times now and it has only gotten worse. When I login windows explorer and defender crash and now when I run any app or install it just gives the stops working error. I know this is alot but I really need some help I have no idea what is causing this problem.