CD-R/RW Broke, Can I Use DVD-Rom to Launch Installation CD?

Jai10

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello! I hope somebody can help, I am desperate.

While trying to repair my PC, the installation CD busted up in pieces and broke my CD-R/RW. I need to do a repair installation and obtained a new CD. I was told by MS that I can load the CD in the DVD Player, but it won't do it. The DVD Player will "eject" but the only DVD I have is a movie which will not load.

This is what I have:
- XP Home
- Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S
- Samsung DVD-Rom SD-616E

Is there a way to repoint the software to the opposite tray so I can use CDs, or is there a "service" I need to make sure is Auto/Started. Any info you can provide will be appreciated. MS Customer Support has been screwing around with me on this issue.

Thank you.

Jai

Jai10

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Hi and thank you for responding.
My PC is shot due to uninstalling programs and reinstalling them. I have a new XP Home Installation CD and want to do a "repair" or in the meantime fix a few programs (i.e., Outlook). The DVD Door opens and closes, whereas the CD Door does not.
I have a good understanding of PCs but not with the CD/DVD Players installed (came this way). I figure there's a way to go around this problem and do it myself (no $ for tech repair).
Can you help?
Jai

mibix19

Distinguished
If your DVD drive does not auto play you can check the box in the drives properties. Or, in windows explorer click on your DVD drive icon on the left, then in the right hand window click the setup.exe icon

Jai10

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Mibix19: I wish it was easy as you said, but I don't have any options to do this. I have the CD in the DVD Player, I can eject it or pop it back in. When I click on it via My Computer, it says "Please insert a disk into Drive D." It does not recognize the disk. Before the CD Player broke, it was fine. Don't know what to do at this point...
Jai

Jai10

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011