Sign in with
Your question

Antec 900 vs Antec P180... which is overall better?

Last response: in Components
December 2, 2008 12:54:50 AM

I own both. The Antec 900 is in the mail, so I haven't seen it yet. I will have two system builds, my older parts, and my new "main" system. I want my new main system to have the best parts I have.

I am wondering how the Antec 900 compares to the Antec P180. Which is the overall better case and why? Which one do you think I should use for my main system build and my best parts, and why?

I am having trouble deciding... thanks for the help/advice! :) 

More about : antec 900 antec p180

December 2, 2008 1:11:32 AM

I just bought the Antec 900 on black friday at a local store, but I was also checking out the P180. There are 2 big differences in the design that caught my attention, the 900 seems to built for good ventilation and better cooling. While the P180 seems to have been made to be quiet from the looks of it.

And with that in mind I would decide where to throw things, and it be helpful if we knew what both your systems were running and where they would be. As theres a big difference between what you want from a computer in your room to one in your living room as far as the case and noise is concerned.
a c 79 ) Power supply
December 2, 2008 1:11:51 AM

The 900 has extreme airflow(thanks to a very open design and minimal air restriction) so it would be better for the hotter overclocked system. The P180 can be a very quiet system with low speed fans.

I would go with the 900 for the new system and the P180 for your second system. Both are well built cases.
Related resources
December 2, 2008 1:25:23 AM

Both assasin32 and Nukemaster sum it up nicely: 900 for max airflow and cooling, P180 for quiet operation.

If the new system is going to be your 'performance' system, and especially if you are overclocking, then definitely put it in the 900.
December 2, 2008 2:42:29 AM

I have the P182 case. I like the case because it looks professional and classy. I don't need the flashing lights the 900 has. I also have 3 120mm case fans and the case temp idles at 38C with the fan speed set to low and the front door shut. I prefer a silent system over ventilation. My CPU is also clocked at 3.7Ghz and it never goes above 65C with Orthos on small FFT's. The quality on the inside is great and it just has a few minor improvements over the P180. I would stick with the P180 if it were my choice.
December 2, 2008 3:10:30 AM

I can't speak for the P180, but I own a 900 and it is a superb case. Prior to the 900, I had a Lian Li case which was solidly built but did not have adequate ventilation for cooling. I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 and my CPU is running at 27 degrees C at idle. System temps are 25 degrees. If you plan to overclock, I would highly recommend the 900. Also, I have the stock fans that come with the case running at max speed and a Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler with a 120 mm fan and the case is quiet. The P180 might be a good choice. I don't know about it. However, I do know that the 900 is a solid build with great cooling, and is quiet. Good luck.
December 2, 2008 3:11:40 AM

I have the 900 and while it looks good and cools excellently, it absolutely sucks when it comes to actually doing a build or performing maintenence. It is very cramped inside with just two HDDS, the Ultra 120X, and 8800GTS 640. Prepare to get your Dremel out to cut away large portions of the MB tray so that you can route cables. Setting your fans to low is all you need to bring in tons of cool air; and it's quiet. Buy an 8-pin PS extender. A modular PS would work best in this case (since you only use the power lines you need).

I think a better bet would either be the 1200 (also from Antec), or even better- the CoolerMaster HAF 932. The 932 has all the cooling prowess of the 900/1200, but is tooless and looks just as good (but needs better lighting).

PS- my case came with 3x 120mm fans. Two of them are in the front HDD cages (with one drive in each cage), and the third is in the side panel. I mentioned I have the Ultra 120X installed, and while it does fit, you WILL need to cut away a corner of the fan housing in the side panel so that it doesn't jam the 120mm fan you install on the 120X.
December 2, 2008 3:22:48 AM

NewbieTechGodII said:
I have the 900 and while it looks good and cools excellently, it absolutely sucks when it comes to actually doing a build or performing maintenence. It is very cramped inside with just two HDDS, the Ultra 120X, and 8800GTS 640. Prepare to get your Dremel out to cut away large portions of the MB tray so that you can route cables. Setting your fans to low is all you need to bring in tons of cool air; and it's quiet. Buy an 8-pin PS extender. A modular PS would work best in this case (since you only use the power lines you need).

I think a better bet would either be the 1200 (also from Antec), or even better- the CoolerMaster HAF 932. The 932 has all the cooling prowess of the 900/1200, but is tooless and looks just as good (but needs better lighting).

PS- my case came with 3x 120mm fans. Two of them are in the front HDD cages (with one drive in each cage), and the third is in the side panel. I mentioned I have the Ultra 120X installed, and while it does fit, you WILL need to cut away a corner of the fan housing in the side panel so that it doesn't jam the 120mm fan you install on the 120X.

It's possible you have the old version of the Antec 900. I have the second revision of the 900 and I did not need to cut any metal or any do other modding to route my cables. There were preformed holes in the right places for cable management. I have an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU (modular) and did not need any extenders.
December 2, 2008 3:30:08 AM

Obviously, I must have received the second version also. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler and had to make no modifications to the case to make it fit. It is a bit tight with the long AMD 4850 video card, but I believe that is typical for most cases, and it required no case mods to make it fit. Also, the cables from my Corsair 750 watt power supply fit without extenders.
December 2, 2008 3:30:13 AM

My case came with only one cut-out and it wasn't adequate at all. The pattern I cut in mine is very similiar to the HAF 932, with the addition of cutting a large section behind the MB where HS brackets get installed.

EDIT- I looked-over the version of the 900 at NewEgg. That case has water-cooling outlets and I can see the large vertical cut-out on the MB tray behind the fan housing in the middle drive cage.

Regardless, I stand by my comments about the 900 (though I still feel it's superior to the 180/182): Great cooling, s-hitty build experience. 8 screws to hold a drive cage? Unacceptable. (it's still that way, right?) I am planning on replacing my 900 with the 932.

And the comment I made about the extender? I didn't mean that the 8-pin power cable on my PCP&C unit couldn't reach the socket on the MB, it's just that an extender would make working on the system 100% easier (especially with the 120X installed).
December 2, 2008 6:49:52 AM

I have 180 and 182 cases:

The 182 is preferable to the 180 (and the 900 imo - too bling) as it has some clever touches the 180 lacks. Specifically:

1. The ability to route power leads between the mothorboard tray and the case. This is completely invisible when the case is closed and allows you to route the 20+4 power in particular very discreetly.

2. A small cutout to pass cables through to the drive bay without going up into the main area and back down.

3. Fan speed controls for the rear and top fans on the rear of the case (the 180 controls were left dangling inside the case)

4. 2 x Watercooling grommets to allow cooling pipes into and out of the case.

I use the 182 for server cases - they used to be for my main rig as well, but I've downsized to a Silverstone mini-atx now.
December 2, 2008 6:52:55 AM

omg - learn to proof read when you are interrupted whilst writing...

1. "between the motherboard tray and case side panel"

Should also point out that the 182 seems designed for Asus mobos and Antec Neopower PSUs (hardly suprising) as the cable lengths are exactly right. Other combos may well have issues.

December 2, 2008 8:46:24 AM

+1 to kyzarvs - ive got a P180 about a year after i got it i upgraded the HDD's to a raid array for main disk plus a couple of spinpoint F1's for media serving and storage - only then did I realise how massively iritating having to route the sata power cables up and down was....

Thankfully 5 minutes with a dremel has sorted it - nw my innards are all neat and tidy!
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2008 10:06:52 AM

Antec 900 FTW!
!