965-DS3 Raid Setup help

timetwosave

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Hi, first post. I'm trying to setup Raid 1 on my motherboard, Gigabyte 965-DS3. This is my first time setting up raid of any kind so ive been stumbling through it. This is waht I found out so far:

The southbridge is ICH8, so no RAID from intel. Only the Gigabyte version of raid is an option on this board.

I am running the latest bios (14B).

I enable RAID by going into the bios, and changing the "Onboard SATA/IDE control mode" option to "RAID/IDE". This will bring me to the RAID config screen upon reboot.

I can successfully create my RAID configuration in the bios configuraiton screen, but when I boot into windows I get a BSOD almost immediately upon seeing the windows loading bar. I've tried loading Vista and XP and I get the same result.

I also have tried installing GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2456) but when I run it I just get an error that says "GBB36X Raid Device is not found!"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

timetwosave

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
just popped in an ubuntu CD and it worked. maybe I need to try reinstalling windows? (I didn't mention this but i'm not trying to install raid on the same disk as the OS)

bilbat

Splendid
This is a common cause of troubles - not using the pre-install drivers during the OS install, and having to add them later... I don't know the solution, but I know it can be found with a google search, as finding it told me all I needed to know at that point in time - 'be sure to use ALL the pre-install drivers, on ALL OSs, to avoid later grief!'