Sign in with
Your question

G.Skill 1600 Mhz RAM showing up as 1066 Mhz on BIOS

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2009 2:47:07 PM

Hi,

I just build my system (see my signature) and this may be a noob question. I have 6GB of G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz memory in 3 chips. Whenever I boot, the BIOS briefly shows that they are running at 1066 Mhz. Is this normal? How can I get them to operate at 1600 Mhz? My motherboard accepts 1600 Mhz RAM.

I have not attempted to overclock my Core i7 yet. Thanks for your help.
December 9, 2009 3:03:25 PM

Manually set the RAM to 1600mhz in the BIOS and set the correct RAM timings as well.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2009 3:54:27 PM

You have to manually change the RAM frequency/timings and voltage, the mobo cannot do this on it's own......
m
l
December 9, 2009 4:05:24 PM

Thank you both. So I'm assuming I just punch in the CAS timings and the Voltage number according to item description on Newegg into BIOS? Will it damage the RAM modules in anyway or create instability to the system if I raise the RAM frequency and timings? Thanks again.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2009 4:21:33 PM

Yes, you have to change the timings and voltage to whatever is specified by the manufacturer, then raise the frequency to 800Mhz and you are set. You will not be able to boot if you raise the frequency and timings above what is specified by the manufacturer.
m
l
!