Good time to build a computer?

achewygumball

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
So yeah, I've been wanting to build a new computer for a while now. I've been researching parts, but I've heard that the new Core i7 is coming out soon. So should I wait for it to come out so that processor prices drop, or should I just go ahead and build one now? Oh yeah, anyone have any idea how much the new core i7's are gonna cost?

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
if i were you i would build now while everything is still dropping in price. Core i7 will most likely be marked up in price for the first few months and probably wont become mainstream after a year or so because everybody would have to build whole new computers if they wanted to go nehalem.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The starting i7 will be a 2.66Ghz Quad about as fast as a 3.2Ghz current quad and will cost you a little over $300.

Expect only higher end Mobos at the start to cost you $250-$300 (Big guess here)

Also, you need to buy DDR3 and not DDR2. So expect a $100-$200 premium for memory.

It will be a nice system for those less concerned about price.
If you are price/performance ratio concerned, its likely not the choice right away.

4745454b

Titan
It depends on what kind of computer you want. If you want a speedburner, or something that you can upgrade for several years, now is a horrible time. Intel is moving to i7/x58/DDR3 by the end of this year. AMD is moving to AM2+, and will probably follow the jump to DDR3 sometime next year, or possible a bit later then that. If you are looking to buy something now and use it 2-3 years down the line with minor upgrades, now is a horrible time.

On the other hand, if you want to build a decent computer capable of handling games for years down the road, now is a good time. Intel has just released the 5200. AMDs quad and triple core CPUs are between $100-$125. Four gigs of DDR2-800 can be bought for $80. Harddrives are cheap, and AMD/Nvidia are locked in a graphics war that is only making me smile more and more. By spending only $100 on each part, you can build a good gaming system for around $800. (some parts won't be $100, through the extra cash into a better video card.) In the end, it depends on what kind of computer you want.

It definitely depends on what you are looking to expect to spend (what is your budget) and as others have stated here if you are wanting to be king of the hill or just want a real good computer that you can use for a while as is with minor upgrades.

That is the mssing info we need from you to better give our opinions... :p