Sign in with
Your question

Won't detect wireless networks!!

Last response: in Windows XP
February 11, 2011 12:55:02 AM

Hi. I just reformated an old comp with windows xp. However it doesnt detect any wireless networks even though i refresh. Nothing is wrong with my wireless router because i have other computers currently connected to it. What are the possible problems?

Thanks!! :lol: 
February 11, 2011 1:24:41 AM

Make sure to install your wireless adapter.
February 11, 2011 2:03:15 AM

aford10 said:
Make sure to install your wireless adapter.

what do you mean install? do i need the setup CD? windows xp already recognizes it.
Related resources
February 11, 2011 2:51:14 AM

Is it an external USB adapter? If yes, did you install it? XP won't recognize it by default.

If it is already installed, then go to start-->network connections, and make sure it's the correct LAN connection, and that it's not disabled.
February 11, 2011 3:59:56 AM

aford10 said:
Is it an external USB adapter? If yes, did you install it? XP won't recognize it by default.

If it is already installed, then go to start-->network connections, and make sure it's the correct LAN connection, and that it's not disabled.

sorry im not sure what you are talking about. I have a linksys wireless-g 2.4ghz PCI adapter. My windows xp shows this when i click the properties for "wireless network connection". However, when i click "show available networks" it shows nothing. On my laptop however, it shows my network and i am connected. I was wondering what was wrong with my windows xp? thanks again
February 11, 2011 5:00:04 AM

Go to start-->control panel-->system-->hardware tab-->device manager-->are there any conflicts (yellow !) in there?
February 12, 2011 5:14:23 AM

aford10 said:
Go to start-->control panel-->system-->hardware tab-->device manager-->are there any conflicts (yellow !) in there?

nope, no yellow ! :cry: 
February 12, 2011 9:45:17 AM

Ok, look down near your clock, you may have a different software managing your connection. You may need to switch to the wireless zero configuration.

Then right click on it, and view for available wireless connections.
February 12, 2011 7:41:08 PM

aford10 said:
Ok, look down near your clock, you may have a different software managing your connection. You may need to switch to the wireless zero configuration.

Then right click on it, and view for available wireless connections.

what should i do with wireless zero confiuration? It was already running and was set to"automatic". I did restart it but it still doesnt detect any wireless networks.
February 12, 2011 9:00:34 PM

Are you sure you're in range of your router?

If you have other computers with wireless adapters, try using a different wireless adapter on this computer that's having problems.
February 19, 2011 11:18:37 PM

aford10 said:
Are you sure you're in range of your router?

If you have other computers with wireless adapters, try using a different wireless adapter on this computer that's having problems.

i think im just going to buy a new wireless adapter. its been many years already. ill let you know if it worked.
!