Won't detect wireless networks!!

Hi. I just reformated an old comp with windows xp. However it doesnt detect any wireless networks even though i refresh. Nothing is wrong with my wireless router because i have other computers currently connected to it. What are the possible problems?

Thanks!! :lol:
10 answers Last reply
More about detect wireless networks
  1. Make sure to install your wireless adapter.
  2. aford10 said:
    Make sure to install your wireless adapter.

what do you mean install? do i need the setup CD? windows xp already recognizes it.
  3. Is it an external USB adapter? If yes, did you install it? XP won't recognize it by default.

If it is already installed, then go to start-->network connections, and make sure it's the correct LAN connection, and that it's not disabled.
  4. aford10 said:
    Is it an external USB adapter? If yes, did you install it? XP won't recognize it by default.

If it is already installed, then go to start-->network connections, and make sure it's the correct LAN connection, and that it's not disabled.

sorry im not sure what you are talking about. I have a linksys wireless-g 2.4ghz PCI adapter. My windows xp shows this when i click the properties for "wireless network connection". However, when i click "show available networks" it shows nothing. On my laptop however, it shows my network and i am connected. I was wondering what was wrong with my windows xp? thanks again
  5. Go to start-->control panel-->system-->hardware tab-->device manager-->are there any conflicts (yellow !) in there?
  6. aford10 said:
    Go to start-->control panel-->system-->hardware tab-->device manager-->are there any conflicts (yellow !) in there?

nope, no yellow ! :cry:
  7. Ok, look down near your clock, you may have a different software managing your connection. You may need to switch to the wireless zero configuration.

Then right click on it, and view for available wireless connections.
  8. aford10 said:
    Ok, look down near your clock, you may have a different software managing your connection. You may need to switch to the wireless zero configuration.

Then right click on it, and view for available wireless connections.

what should i do with wireless zero confiuration? It was already running and was set to"automatic". I did restart it but it still doesnt detect any wireless networks.
  9. Are you sure you're in range of your router?

If you have other computers with wireless adapters, try using a different wireless adapter on this computer that's having problems.
  10. aford10 said:
    Are you sure you're in range of your router?

If you have other computers with wireless adapters, try using a different wireless adapter on this computer that's having problems.

i think im just going to buy a new wireless adapter. its been many years already. ill let you know if it worked.
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Wireless Router Windows XP