deviousmeister

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I recently bought parts to build a system and unfortunately it wasn't long till I encountered a problem. I put my PSU an intel quad core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018 into my motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299 (correctly so far as I can tell, aligning the gold triangle to the bottom left of the socket) but when I try to close the metal load plate, it seems to be putting a good deal of pressure on the PSU chip. I examined the plate and it looked like it was slightly bent, so I used some pliers and tried to straighten it as best I could. This seemed to help but I can still only close the load plate about 2/3 of the way before I would need to put a seemingly undue amount of pressure on it to get it closed. I should point out that this is the first time I am trying to build a computer so I wanted to ask someone experienced for guidance as to how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

You mean CPU (you said psu= power supply unit)

You need to be super careful with installing the cpu to not bend the pins on the mobo. Once they are bent theres no guarantee it will work correctly. The way you straightened the pins with pliers concerns me. You would be better off using a magnifying glass and a very sharp blade (razor).

Did you remove the black plastic cover from the cpu?

deviousmeister

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Apologies, yes I meant to say CPU. I did not bend anything on the CPU itself. My problem is the metal cover on the MOBO which is supposed to close over the CPU and latch, it will only close 2/3 of the way and i'm afraid to try to force it the rest of the way. I could probably do it but I am concerned that I might damage the pins on the CPU. I did remove all the plastic covers.

Not a problem. I understand you are new so I wanted to correct you so you know better.

Read the pages on the link above from my last post and see if that helps you with something you may have mised. There will be some tension on the latch when you go to secure the cpu and it will seem abnormal but as long as you are certain the cpu is seated correctly and there are no objects obstructing the movement it should be ok.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
The arrow lines up with the bottom right side of the socket, not the left.

The socket has an arrow or a corner of missing pins.

The CPU is notched, it will line up with the socket only one way. Use your eyes and take your time.

Nothing against you ,but if you cant install a CPU you should take your system to someone that has some common sense.

Well, it is strongly advised that you do your homework before taking on something like building a pc for the 1st time. Go to websites like the one I provided above and take your time and read until you understand what to do. Check out more than one site to compare info due to some sites dont have good information or may describe in a better way that makes sense or has better pictures for you to make out what is going on.

I commend you for trying but do your homework 1st! If you dont then its at your expense of learning when you have to buy new parts again...