ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK so im at my school during lunch looking at motherboards on newegg. Im looking at a picture of the ASUS P6T deluxe when this kid comes up to me and says, "that's just an overpriced circuit board, I know someone who built a motherboard that was just as good as a factory made one in his home".

Later he said that hes planning to link 3 motherboards together to make an "awesome supercomputer"

Im assuming this stuff is total BS but just makin sure.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
you can't build your own motherboard. there are a lot of very complex chips on there. and it's not possible to "link" 3 motherboards together. supercomputers are a completely different story, but those aren't made by some guy in his garage on the weekend.

mitsubishiuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
No, I think you are judging this guy too quick, it's perfectly possible to make your own motherboard.

Pretty easy really, the most difficult part would be the microchips needed for the chipset, but still child's play, you just need to be able to etch a few million transistors a few atoms wide onto a piece of silicon in the most precise, perfectly sanitized process mankind has yet achieved.

In reality, you could make your own cpu, motherboard, RAM etc at home with the right knowledge and without a multi-billion dollar fab plant, but only on a human scale, meaning about 1/100 millionth the complexity of a modern machine.

Ah, the old, "I know someone who ...".
Your reply should have been, "Cool! Let's go look at it."

Possible - sort of. Beowulf cluster.