Sign in with
Your question

XP Pro sp3 vs Win 7 Ultimate

Last response: in Windows XP
February 11, 2011 6:05:54 AM

Good Day,

I hope that someone can help me shed light onto this matter as it has stumped me good and solid...

I have been a loyal XP pro user since it was released, but now I have finally upgraded my Relic to a semi real pc (In gaming terms ... lol) and need 2 decide on a OS ...

The system is

E5700 3ghz (overclock to 3.5ghz)
Asus P5G41M-LX
2GB DDR3 1333mhz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 SO
Corsair VX450w (Will upgrade to 650w if needed)

My question is simple ... Which OS would be beter for the sytem listed ... I am an avid gamer and this is a gaming system ... (if u can call it a gaming system)

All opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated !!!

Kind Regards.

More about : pro sp3 win ultimate

a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2011 4:30:37 PM

I have 3 desktops running, XP Pro, Vista Business, and Win7 Pro - of these 3 Operating Systems, Win 7 - 64-bit is clearly my number one choice!

You have the basic requirements for Win 7 64-bit and besides, in the Win 7 64-bit Pro version we also get XP virtual PC for older applications.

Go with either Win7 64-bit Professional OR Ultimate. The "retail" version allows you to uninstall and then re-install on a different PC - the OEM version does not provide this feature.
a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2011 4:53:44 PM

Win 7 will happily run on almost every PC that will run XP that has at least 1 gig of RAM. I'd keep things at 32 bit though, 64 bit Windows have slightly more issues with program and driver compatability than 32 bit versions. Much less so now, but there is a difference. Since you only have 2 gig of RAM (even 4 is fine for 32bit) no need to use 64 bit.
Related resources
February 11, 2011 7:08:18 PM

Hey hey,

Thanks for the replies !! ...

It seems that my GFX Card has a small delivery problem ... or stock problem ... the supplier isn't being very specific with me ... sigh ...

Guess the question now is ... Will Win 7 work with the onboard graphics which is the GMA X4500 ...

I kinda made a mistake with the motherboard I listed ... I left out a letter ... lol

The motherboard is actually the -- Asus P5 G41C-M LX

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YraY16Bgg3U1mAW1&...
February 12, 2011 1:55:14 AM

It will be fine.
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2011 4:32:24 AM

While Win 7 will run with 2GB of RAM, 4GB will be a little better.
February 12, 2011 5:04:11 AM

Hey all ...

Thanks for the advice so far ... ... I am still hearing a lot of yes buts ... lol ...

Lets see if we can get more opinions on this ... Please remember the system will be used for gaming ...

Kind Regards.

a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2011 10:36:14 AM

Change the "yes, but ..." to "yes, and ..."
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2011 5:40:46 PM

Support for DX9 has started to drop. But it will still take a couple of years before DX9 support is total dropped by major gaming studios.

Example of games which requires DX10 or above:

Just Cause 2
Stormrise (bad reviews)
Halo 1 - Re-release

Microsoft is re-releasing the original Haloon the PC with higher resolution and better textures. I bet DX10 will be required.

February 14, 2011 3:13:15 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice, Over the weekend I installed Win 7 Ultimate 64bit ... I know driver issues were mentioned but I am giving it a go, I also ordered 2Gb more ramm just in case.

Thanks all ... Topic can be considered solved ... hehe

Kind Regards.
February 14, 2011 3:13:19 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice, Over the weekend I installed Win 7 Ultimate 64bit ... I know driver issues were mentioned but I am giving it a go, I also ordered 2Gb more ramm just in case.

Thanks all ... Topic can be considered solved ... hehe

Kind Regards.
!