Sign in with
Your question

MSI P965 Platinum & E6600 Temp Issues!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2008 1:08:21 PM

Hi all

I had been struggling with FPS in World of Warcraft (getting around 20fps in cities and 10-20 fps in 25 man raids) the graphics card I am using is a GTX280. I did a bit of looking into it and found I am having an issue with very high Cpu temperatures on the above mentioned combo. I am thinking this is the cause of the low fps as I read somewhere that the CPU gets throttled if it goes past 80 degrees.

Under load the CPU is 83 degrees (temp listed in SpeedFan)
and idle is around 50 degrees (in speedfan and also BIOS)

I am using the stock CPU cooler which i know isnt very effiecient but should still keep temps down alot lower. The Case I am using is the Lian Li PC-V600 which is a very compact case but has fairly decent ventilation (2 fans) however the PSU does sit directly above the CPU. 1 thing I did notice is that there is an 8 pin plug for the 12v CPU power - which I only have a 4pin plugged into it. Does this require an 8 pin plug or is the other 4 pins for a different country etc?

I have the current 1.8 BIOS version for the motherboard and am running on Vista 64 bit.

Other specs are 650w coolermaster psu, 6gb ddr2 800 (2x geil 1024mb 4-4-4-12, 2x kingston 2048mb 6-6-6-15, 3x sata hdd, 1x dvdrw, Geforce GTX280, and a PCI wireless card.

I will be going to the shop tomorow to buy a new Zalman cooler and some Arctic Silver 5 paste, but if anyone has any other ideas I would be happy to hear them!!! Thanks!
a c 172 à CPUs
December 2, 2008 1:41:44 PM

Actually, the stock cooler is pretty efficient - it's worth more than you paid for it. But it is no substitute for a good aftermarket HSF if you are overclocking. If you are trying to push the CPU past about 3.0 GHz with stock HSF, you're overdoing it.

Your idle temps are much too high.

Best "bang for the buck" HSF is a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or something similar.
December 2, 2008 1:52:46 PM

Actually these temps are running it stock. No overclocking done whatsoever.
Related resources
December 2, 2008 9:56:27 PM

temps are not always accurate
high temps would cause a shut down not slow fps

stock cooler is fine at 3.4ghz - if it is installed correctly

you did not install the cooler right or it some other issue
December 2, 2008 10:28:21 PM

cooler seemed attached pretty well, i wiggled it and it wouldnt move so i think it was on correctly.
!