Upgrade from X1950 Pro

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Yes, and a significant one at that. I wouldn't recommend a card that powerful for such an aging system unless you were thinking of overhauling the rest of your system within the next year or so and were going to reuse the 4850.

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I'd say get the card man, don't listen to these naysayers. You would see a great improvement. Just get the 4850 then if you are slowly rebuilding do that. No reason to not have improved performance even though its not technically the best you can have..

Wolfshadw

Titan
@nickthistleton - Please confirm the X1950Pro graphics card you currently have is PCI-E and not AGP. If it's AGP, then I'd not recommend an upgrade. If it is PCI-E then I'd ask what resolution you're currently using and what your primary usage for the card.

-Wolf sends

I read today that the 4830 card is about a week away and so i would at least wait a week or two to see how it performs.
Your CPU will definatly restrict the 4850 but you can always upgrade the CPU latter.
So you need to decide if you just want a quick boost for your system with a view to a new build in the future or if you want to invest a bit more in what you have.
The 4830 can reasonably be expected to sit between the 4670 and 4850 both in price and performance and in my opinion could be a good compromise for you depending on the price.

Mactronix