4GB Gskill PI ram @ 4-4-4-12
2X750gb Seagate Barracuda's in Raid 1
1 WD 200gb boot drive
Sapphire Radeon 4850

OK here is what I just purchased:
Core 2 duo E7300
Asus p5q pro (p45)

My questions are:

1. I just purchased and am currently loading up my new RAID mirrored drive setup. Will this transfer without major issue from and AMD Asus Nforce 570 mobo to my new Intel Asus p45 mobo? If not what should I do? load up data on one of the drives then set up raid on the new mobo?

2. Can I just drop in my old HDD with windows on it and all my beloved programs or do I have to start over? Someone said something about doing a repair install or something

3. and finally- is there any benefit to vista 64 bit, and are the drivers mature enough yet? I figure if I have to do a clean install I might as well switch to 64 if there are benefits

4. Just one more- what do you think I should be able to OC too with this E7300 X10 Multi with p5q-pro p45? I am crossing my fingers I will be able to reach near 4ghz with my monster zerotherm nirvana for a near 24/7 machine.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Not sure on 1,2,4 but Vista 64 is very stable right now. Unless you have wierd or acient hardware or software, it should run everything fine. I have had no BSOD or any issues since March. I do think that you will have to do a clean install of your stuff. I have had hit and miss trying to use HDDs in other computers than the original. A repair install might work, worth a shot. Unless you plan on getting Vista 64, that will require a full clean install. I found that out the hard way. Took forever getting my apps and Steam games back on my computer.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
raid from nvidia to intel is long shot and next to impossible - even if you did it would not be stable
you can go from nvidia to intel and you just update drivers
64 bit is faster with a fast machine
you got lots of ram and use lots of browsers? if you ram is not maxed at 2-3.5gb then skip 64bit
oc 4ghz

tbosscher

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks for the responses, but I just had another thought- will my RAID transfer differently due to the fact that it is mirrored? or are both striped and mirrored arrays totally non-transferable between Nvidia and Intel chipsets? What I was really hoping was that because they are both Asus boards that it would somehow figure itself out. Thanks again for any responses- :sol: