Sign in with
Your question

My HD103UJ has a problem

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2010 11:57:57 AM

Listen,
I ran HD Tune and everything is okay according to it but I get tons of "Packed Data CRC: Volume is corrupt" error when extracting rar files... also checked for bad sectors - there were none.
I tried changing a SATA cable but that didn't help.
What could be the problem?

More about : hd103uj problem

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 13, 2010 12:02:57 PM

Are you really sure the rar archives are OK? It happens quite often that a downloaded archive is corrupted. Did you try to extract files from these archives before and it worked?
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:05:44 PM

Quote:
Are you really sure the rar archives are OK? It happens quite often that a downloaded archive is corrupted. Did you try to extract files from these archives before and it worked?

It happens in almost every rar I download, unless its really really small.
It is surely not a problem of the rar's themselves.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 13, 2010 12:16:45 PM

Then try downloading another big archive (e.g. ZIP) and test this or download a Linux CD ISO-image for which a md5 hash exists and verify this. If one of the two suggestions works your problem has nothing to do with your drive oder other hardware. Even without this test the problem almost certainly has nothing to do with the drive. If the rar archives come from the same source perhaps all are corrupted, they use an incompatible version or the server is causing the trouble.
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:20:39 PM

Lets say I download an archive with 48 rars, then every time I try to extract them, a few of them are corrupt, but whats strange is that the corrupt parts are different each times which means the rars themselves are not corrupt, and the drive is reading them incorrectly.
What could cause this?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 13, 2010 12:29:29 PM

If you downloaded them only once and get different errors each time you try to extract the files that changes everything. Perhaps you might try to use a seperate tool to verify the CRC32 od MD4. If the values change between two consecutive passes somthing is definitively wrong :??:  and I have no further ideas. Perhaps checking the system log files might reveal something unusual (e.g. Windows: Event Viewer => System).
m
l
February 14, 2010 1:19:17 PM

Anyone else has an idea about what could be happening?
What am I even supposed to look for in the event viewer?
m
l
February 14, 2010 2:12:11 PM

I have another symptom of the "disease" -
when downloading through uTorrent, it usally finishes the download and then when I force a Re-Check not all files have even been completed, they're at 98% or 99%.
what the hell is this ***?
m
l
February 20, 2010 9:53:50 AM

update:
when I install the drive on a different computer, there is no such problem.
what could this mean? whats wrong with my computer?
m
l
!