Digital Cable TV and Artifacts

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

We just switched to Comcast digital from Comcast analog because of a
good package they offered. The problem is the amount of digital
artifacts on just about all channels.....freezing, stuttering, audio
drops, pixilization, etc. Tried everything I could think of, including
using the S-Video output. Same problem. Sometimes it's worse than
others.

We've only had it for two days but if this is normal for digital I'll
be switching back to analog, much as I like the upgrade in other
respects. A tech will be out monday. I'm hoping a new box will correct
the problem. Any comments on this type of problem? Is this normal with
digital?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about digital cable artifacts
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "George W." <geo_removethis_wirth@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > We just switched to Comcast digital from Comcast analog because of a
    > good package they offered. The problem is the amount of digital
    > artifacts on just about all channels.....freezing, stuttering, audio
    > drops, pixilization, etc. Tried everything I could think of, including
    > using the S-Video output. Same problem. Sometimes it's worse than
    > others.
    >
    > We've only had it for two days but if this is normal for digital I'll
    > be switching back to analog, much as I like the upgrade in other
    > respects. A tech will be out monday. I'm hoping a new box will correct
    > the problem. Any comments on this type of problem? Is this normal with
    > digital?
    >
    > Thanks
    ======
    That's not typical for digital cable. Reads like you've got bad cabling or a
    local amplifier or your converter is bad. A cable tech should measure the
    signal level at several cable frequency bands to ensure they're okay. It's
    the cable company's problem to fix, including providing a new cable
    converter. Try unplugging the cable converter (AC) for a ~10 seconds, then
    check images again. Also, make sure there's nothing blocking the bottom or
    top converter vents to prevent overheating.
    John
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "George W." <geo_removethis_wirth@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > We just switched to Comcast digital from Comcast analog because of a
    > good package they offered. The problem is the amount of digital
    > artifacts on just about all channels.....freezing, stuttering, audio
    > drops, pixilization, etc. Tried everything I could think of, including
    > using the S-Video output. Same problem. Sometimes it's worse than
    > others.
    >
    > We've only had it for two days but if this is normal for digital I'll
    > be switching back to analog, much as I like the upgrade in other
    > respects. A tech will be out monday. I'm hoping a new box will correct
    > the problem. Any comments on this type of problem? Is this normal with
    > digital?
    >
    > Thanks

    No, freezes and audio stops are completely uncharacteristic.

    The only artifact to expect to see is tiling ("pixilization" you called it)
    related
    to compression, where the flow of detail is too intense for the channel
    bandwidth.
    All digital TV is compressed and when too much of the scene has constant new
    data
    pumped in, the compression scheme may choke. If you're going to get it, it
    might be
    at times when the camera pans a crowd scene (as in sports events, as they
    follow the action with the stands in the picture). Fades will do it, too,
    'cause every
    part of the screen has to change at the same time in a fade.

    The worst one I ever saw was a swimming pool. The rippling had so much
    random
    motion that the surface looked like a checkerboard of mixed blues.

    Unlike analog, looking at the digital picture asnd knowing it's getting
    destroyed by
    interference is not usually possible. Digital cable uses frequencies that
    are also used
    over-the-air. If your problem is just on some channels, consider the cable
    may be
    letting some signals leak in. Got cell-tower?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    George,

    This is not normal, my bet is there is a source of signal loss somewhere.
    Have the cabletech come and run a signal line test. I thing there are loss
    fittings somewhere on the line or a problem with your downstream that can be
    fixed with recabling.

    Phil

    "George W." <geo_removethis_wirth@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > We just switched to Comcast digital from Comcast analog because of a
    > good package they offered. The problem is the amount of digital
    > artifacts on just about all channels.....freezing, stuttering, audio
    > drops, pixilization, etc. Tried everything I could think of, including
    > using the S-Video output. Same problem. Sometimes it's worse than
    > others.
    >
    > We've only had it for two days but if this is normal for digital I'll
    > be switching back to analog, much as I like the upgrade in other
    > respects. A tech will be out monday. I'm hoping a new box will correct
    > the problem. Any comments on this type of problem? Is this normal with
    > digital?
    >
    > Thanks

Digital TV Video Home Theatre