Help with new system

mgray683

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Hello,

I have problem with the new system I'm building and could use some suggestions. Specs as follows:

Pentium core 2 duo
biostar tforce TG31-A7 mb
2 gb patriot ram
SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB 256-bit

System starts. Goes through post with no errors and then goes to black screen with no activity. If I try going into bios I get the same thing. Not really sure where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could be a couple of things. The first as that your power supply is too week. Try taking out your Radeon and using the onboard video since thats a G31 board. If you can get into your BIOS after that then get a bigger power supply. If not disconnect all your devices and try booting it with one RAM stick and then the other. You could have bad RAM or another device that isn't playing nice with your systems BIOS. If you still can't get into the BIOS screen, then you mighnt have a bad board or corrupted BIOS, which means you RMA that board.

mgray683

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I removed the radeon card and hooked up to internal graphics. Was able to get into bios just fine. Peg is set to iniate first by default. I suspect its a psu issue. For the sake of saving a couple bucks I spent $20 on a 585w psu. The thing weighs less than my cell phone so I should have been more suspicious to begin with. It also has no dedicated pci-e connector. Instead using a molex to pcie adapter. Could that be an issue? Seems that 585w should be more than enough power for what I've got.