Sign in with
Your question

keep seeing vista file corruption on new build

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2008 7:57:20 PM

I have a post in the vista section but am thinking it should be here as this is a brand new build, been running only 4 days. maybe the mod can move that post if

necessary.

I put xppro 32b on & then installed vista 64b. been having a hellova time with vista. keep seeing file corruption probs after windows update or driver installs, or

maybe its just time passing.

I'm on my 4th install of vista. last nite after d/l my last set of win updates & the asus??!!?? ati radeon driver recommended by windows updates I got a black screen

after login. (the video driver d/l'd but failed to install, not surprised as its a gigabye card but win update said it was 'recommended'). prior to that, on reboot,

it did a chkdsk & deleted dozens of index files' & said something about the journal file being too big or something (the stuff flashes by fast).

After running wiwndows memory test in the repair function & not being able to see results cause of black scrreen after login I ran memtest v 3.4 last nite & so far 4

passes, 12 hrs, 0 errors.

I'm really leaning towards memory cause xp runs fine (sees only 2gb) but vista is hosed (sees all 8 gb) but so far the memory checks out.

any ideas out there? I've thought of bad cd's, sata/hard drive problems, bad downloads, but keep coming up against the fact that, so far, no probs with the xp 32bit

install.

Actually there is one prob in xp. when I install vista it hoses the modem in xp. I get dial tone but xp says there is none. I have to reseat the modem to get it

working again. (yes I'm way out in the sticks, no cable/dsl). both systems have the modem at com3, irq 20.

MOBO=GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R
CPU=INTEL Q9550
RAM=MUSHKIN 996580 DII800 8Gb
POWER SUPPLY=Corsair 620HX
HARD DRIVES=2 ea Western Digital 750Gb SATA
HARD DRIVE= 1 ea Western Digital 640Gb SATA
DVD BURNER=2 ea LG GH20NS15 20X SATA
VIDEO CARD=VGA GIGABYTE GV-RX385512H HD3850
MODEM=USR5670 56K V.92 PCI
!