??? about problems playing DVDs

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 13, 2004 5:20:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Hi,

A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
or 8mm.

The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
the discs must be okay or they would always screw
up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
okay again...

The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
has something to do with static electricity, but I never
have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
anything.

Thanks for any help!
David

More about : problems playing dvds

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:20:18 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:20:17 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
>put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
>thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
>the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
>keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
>trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
>or 8mm.
>
>The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
>but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
>won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
>showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
>to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
>anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
>and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
>learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
>it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
>or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
>any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
>all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
>the discs must be okay or they would always screw
>up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
>will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
>screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
>okay again...
>
>The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
>has something to do with static electricity, but I never
>have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
>so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
>the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
>containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
>the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
>anything.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>David

I hope someone here has a better solution to your problem than I do.
But what I would do is take one of your burned dvd's that seems to
give you consistent trouble and goto best buy or circuit city and see
if a manager or just an employee will let you try it one of their
display models that they have hooked up to a screen. Make sure it's a
high dollar dvd player. If you can play it fine pop it out and back in
and try again. If it's still fine then you may either want to think
about getting a better player for your home or a better burner.

I'm new to burning dvd's as I just got mine not even a week ago. But
my Aunt and Uncle have been making backups of their dvd's for quite a
while and when I would borrow one to watch on my parents player it
does exactly like your describing. I recently borrowed one of theirs
that seems to ALWAYS give me trouble, to try using my better burner.
Well, my burner had serious trouble even noticing a dvd was in. After
my 3rd attempt it found it, right when I was ready to give up... Then
I tried to use 'DVD Shrink 3.2' to extract the movie hoping to be able
to fix it. 'DVD Shrink 3.2' would start to work then peter out and I'd
get a crc error. I quit trying after about 15 retries. Then I thought
why not try another program like 'DVD Decrypter' so I did. It allows
for re-reading a section that it has trouble reading. And boy did it
have trouble reading it. But to cut this story shorter than it could
be, my copy runs flawlessly. So I trashed their copy and replaced it
with mine and told them about it.

Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
it's a really good player. Good luck and could you please reply to
this if you find the solution? My Uncle would be happy if he didn't
have to go out and buy another new dvd burner.

-------------
Scott D.
December 13, 2004 8:37:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Make sure that:

1. You don't have labels on your DVDs. I had the exact same problem until I
started using felt-tipped pen instead of labels They don't look nearly as
neat but they play flawlessly.
2. You are not using DVD RW disks. I find the read/write disks very
unreliable. I use them only for testing if I am not sure if a burn will
work.

George

<dh_ld@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
> put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
> thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
> the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
> keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
> trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
> or 8mm.
>
> The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
> but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
> won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
> showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
> to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
> anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
> and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
> learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
> it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
> or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
> any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
> all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
> the discs must be okay or they would always screw
> up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
> will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
> screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
> okay again...
>
> The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
> has something to do with static electricity, but I never
> have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
> so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
> the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
> containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
> the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
> anything.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> David
December 15, 2004 4:04:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:29:34 -0600, Kyote <kyote_lovenospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
>you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
>it's a really good player. Good luck and could you please reply to
>this if you find the solution? My Uncle would be happy if he didn't
>have to go out and buy another new dvd burner.

Sometimes they play fine in my player, so how could it be a
problem with the recording? Maybe it could be, but so far I
believe we're talking about different problems.
DVD recorders seem to be getting a lot cheaper. I'd suggest
that your Uncle check them out when he's in WalMart some
time, just for his own info.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 5:25:31 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:04:05 GMT, dh_ld@nomail.com wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:29:34 -0600, Kyote <kyote_lovenospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
>>you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
>>it's a really good player.
>
> Sometimes they play fine in my player, so how could it be a
>problem with the recording?

I didn't say it was the recording. The reason I said to try it in
another player is because it could be your player.

-------------
Scott D.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:42:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

In article <02tpr01fsjni3il3ipjsbss4rmh84ntr1p@4ax.com>,
dh_ld@nomail.com writes:
> Hi,
>
> A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
> put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
> thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
> the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
> keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
> trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
> or 8mm.

I've found that different brands of DVD-Rs work well and others not
so well. With my Sony DVD player, Sony and TDK worked well, Memorex
about 75% were OK, but Imation would not play at all but were OK on
other brands of players I tried them on.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have also found that DVD-Rs last just about a year.
Soon yours will become unplayable in any device, including the device you
used to record them.

I've used several brands, and finally got tired of it and just bought a hard
drive and ripped them all to it.

I would like to hear anyone's comments on how to (if there is a way) solve
this problem.

I'm use a Panasonic DMR-E50. The only DVD-Rs they recommend are their own
at about $10 each with shipping.

===

--
Do not reply to this email address. Email sent to this address is deleted
automatically without being downloaded or read.