Problems Installing 2 X 2GB On Foxconn P35A

rij23

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi just joined and wonder if anyone can help. I have a ZooStorm PC only about 1 year old with a Foxconn P35A motherboard, Intel Quad Core processor, Windows Ultimate SP1, Nevada GeForce 8800 GT. The system currently runs on 2 X 1GB of RAM = 2GB in all. Although overall the PC runs well I decided to increase the RAM purchasing 2 X 2GB of matching RAM. The spec is corrected for the P35A as I checked online and double checked. I am a bit of a novice done my research and thought it would be easy to replace the two 1GB RAM with two 2GB RAM as each slot and there are 4 in total are capable of taking a total of 8GB according to the Foxconn website. Having installed the 2 X 2GB replacing the 2 X 1GB on boot up the PC booted twice then asked how I wanted to start windows I opted for normal then it went to a faded Windows start up stopped and proceeded to a blue screen the rebooted so I closed the system down took the 2GB cards out and refitted them to make sure they were fitted correctly which they were, then I resrted the PC and it looked as though the graphics card had stopped as they was no picture on screen. Refitted the two 1GB cards and everything booted and started as normal. I have rechecked the spec of the 2BG RAM and everything is correct. So what I thought would be a simple upgrade has turned into a nightmare. Is there anything I can do or anything I have missed. The only reason for the upgrade is I have read that Vista perfoms well on 3GB and as I make and edit a lot of DVDs for work that a highr RAM will help speed up the process. Please does anyone have some advice.

Thanks

rij23

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi Nils,
I am replacing the two 1GB sticks with two 2GB sticks. I have just tried again and it still dosn't work then I tried replacing only one 1GB stick with a 2GB stick keeping one 1GB stick in so a total of 3GB and this works windows recognises 3GB so maybe fingers crossed I will stay with this and see how it goes. Although I still don't understand why replacing the two 1GB with two 2GB dosn't work.
Thanks

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
let us know the specs of your old ram and the specs of your new ram. after installing new ram and its speeds and timing are different you have to readjust the settings in your bios.

rij23

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Swapped 2gb stick with other one and it loads OK and reads 3gb, so it's not a bad stick. Then I added the other 1 gb stick so 4gb total and it would not load beyond bios. Then I took out the other 1 gb stick and tried the two 2gb sticks again and nothing would not load beyond bios. So could it be a windows issue or is there somthing I have to address in bios setting for a memory bigger than 3gb?

Nils asked you what sticks you have (old and new). Once you answer his questions, then we'll be able to tell you what's wrong. Since the problem occurs at POST, it certainly isn't a Windows issue. You'll have to make changes in the BIOS, but we can't tell you which ones until you provide the required info. In other words, we can't help you until we know what sticks you are installing in that system.

rij23

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Here is the Spec for old ram and new ram.

TRANSCEND 2GB Module 240-Pin DDR2 DIMM PC2-5300 (667MHz) - 256MLQ64V6U-B111/A
# Module Size: 2GB # Package: 240-pin DIMM # Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300 # Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 A dual inline memory module (DIMM)

OLD RAM
Rendition 1GB DDR2-667MHz PC2-5300 240-Pin DIMM Unbuffered NON EEC
1.8V

TRENDING THREADS