Sign in with
Your question

Hdd makes a click noise...

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2010 3:05:26 AM

When playing simcity 4, at seemingly random times, my harddrive will make a click noise, then my computer reboots. I checked temperatures; the hdd is at a steady 30'c, and the gfx is at a steady 50'c. I tried cleaning the entire case as well as the heat sinks w/ compressed air. It does this even when on the lowest settings.

gpu= ge force 7600
cpu = p4 3.2 ghz
2 gb ram
other than that its just a standard gateway 702ge

The computer doesn't do this while playing any other games (F.E.A.R., cs:s, etc).

Also, on another note, When I go into my bios and try to change something, the computer freezes. Could the mobo battery be going bad? that wouldn't have anything to do w/ the hdd problem would it?

More about : hdd makes click noise

a b G Storage
February 14, 2010 3:19:05 AM

You can download and run the WD diagnostic software to rule out any problems with your hard drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2010 11:50:42 AM

How can you tell that it's hard drive making the noise?
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 1:11:22 AM

what type of hd? sata or ide; wd, seagate, samsung; how many gigs?...
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:21:34 AM

last time i checked, gateway BIOSs sucked, really bad. I am on an old PIII gateway until I get my MOBO back from ASUS, and I stopped trying to get in to the BIOS.

Also, I would say get a new HD, since the old HD in the gateway im on right now started making clicking noises, and less than 2 months later, it was dead completely. I think the "click" is when the HD does something/encounters an error and resets the read/write heads back to the inside of the disks, and overshoots into the spindle. I opened the HD right before it died after I received my new one, and that was what it was doing.
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:26:40 AM

well of the game is trying to access a file and thats where theres a flaw in the hd (maybe a bad sector? i guess thats when it would crash
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:44:28 AM

Is it a Seagate 7200.12 drive?
m
l
!