Can i migrage SSD from my laptop to desktop?

i recently purchased a dell e6500 laptop with 128gb ssd. The ssd is kind of a waste in the laptop since i use it less than my desktop. Is there a way to move it to my desktop?
10 answers Last reply
More about migrage laptop desktop
  1. Yes, since its SATA you can just connect to any PC.

Please make sure you do partition it properly. If you partition with Windows XP; you will have less performance and halve the lifetime of the product.

Vista & Win7 should be ok. Also make sure to never defragment your SSD, and maybe even zero-write / HPA secure erase before using it in your desktop.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply!

I plan to move it to win7 only on my desktop but what i am unsure about:

- what sort of part do i need to buy so it interfaces with sata/sata power cables?
    - can i flash it so it supports TRIM ?
  3. drive listed as: SAMSUNG SSD PB22-JS3 2.5" 128GB
  4. Probably won't support trim, as the Samsung controllers are very basic. Basically, this SSD will be good at sequential and random reads but suck at writing.

Because you don't have trim, simply leave some 10-20% unused. It is very important that this space has never been written to in its lifetime. To be sure, zero-write the entire drive and partition using Windows 7 setup by creating one 100GB partition for example, leaving the other space unused. The unused flash cells will actually be used by the SSD because it silently redirects writes to other locations without Windows ever knowing.
  5. Hmm with that said will i see a noticable improvement if i move that ssd drive to my desktop and hope for trim support in the future?
  6. You will notice fast startup/boot speeds and launching applications should be very fast too. But anything you write would not be fast and may even 'hang' the PC for a short while, due to high write latencies. This kind of SSD is best for 'light' systems; web-surfing, emailing, listening to music, watching a movie, etc. Not too much write activity.

TRIM support will only lower performance degradation over time - on a brand new drive it won't affect performance. So if you don't have TRIM, reserving 10-20% of the space on the SSD would have the same effect. So you don't really need trim if you setup the SSD properly.
  7. You don't need any drive interface adaptors, the cables will plug straight into the Laptop SSD just like they would a desktop hard drive. The only concern is finding a way to mount the smaller drive in a 3.5 inch bay, but adaptors for that can be bought.
  8. Just use tape. :)
    Its not like SSDs are sensitive to physical shock, and do not produce vibrations/sounds themselves. So it doesnt really have to be properly mounted.
  9. DO NOT USE TAPE, it holds the heat in, get a set of brackets
  10. Heat? The 0.1W you mean? SSDs don't produce heat. Some older models like the OCZ Apex SSD have ~2W usage due to them using two crappy JMicron controllers in parallel - a terrible solution because 2 bad controllers do not make 1 good one.

With spinning notebook HDDs, the power usage is usually 0.7-1.0 idle but 2W+ when doing work. 2W may not be much power, but it can add up in heat if the space is confined.

Still, i'm not too worried about tape overheating my SSDs. The electronics are not so heat-sensitive as the metal in spinning HDDs is, and generally power consumption of SSDs is near-zero and they do not feel any warmer than ambient temperature.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops SSD Desktops Storage