Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$36 fee for porting phone number from Sprint?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:09:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
mentioned on any of their webpages or through
customer service.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 3:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Tropical Haven wrote:
> > I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
> > old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
> > charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
> > Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
> > mentioned on any of their webpages or through
> > customer service.
>
> Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported

> number?
>
> TH



The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
this fee.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 10:43:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
> old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
> charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
> Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
> mentioned on any of their webpages or through
> customer service.

Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported
number?

TH
Related resources
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:58:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>>>I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
>>>old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
>>>charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
>>>Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
>>>mentioned on any of their webpages or through
>>>customer service.
>>
>>Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported
>>number?
>
> The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
> this fee.

Have you called and complained yet? If not, you should. If so, what
did they say about it?

TH
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:10:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Dude, you got screwed.

On 6 Feb 2005 12:03:30 -0800, "Digital Puer"
<digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>Tropical Haven wrote:
>> > I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
>> > old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
>> > charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
>> > Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
>> > mentioned on any of their webpages or through
>> > customer service.
>>
>> Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported
>
>> number?
>>
>> TH
>
>
>
>The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
>this fee.
February 7, 2005 7:10:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yeah. I agree. A charge is not listed anywhere here that I see...

Number Transfer Q&AP
http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/LNP_QA

--
Dana

"B Anderson" <username@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:ggqd01pphk3hnkr0blklcqd33n3dj7bfro@4ax.com...
> Dude, you got screwed.
>
> On 6 Feb 2005 12:03:30 -0800, "Digital Puer"
> <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>Tropical Haven wrote:
>>> > I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
>>> > old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
>>> > charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
>>> > Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
>>> > mentioned on any of their webpages or through
>>> > customer service.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported
>>
>>> number?
>>>
>>> TH
>>
>>
>>
>>The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
>>this fee.
>
February 7, 2005 1:30:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

That fee sounds like the fee they charge if you walk in and ask to change
your phone number to a different number because you just want to change it.
I believe this is different then porting your old number over.
--
Dana

"Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:R8CNd.25762$gS5.18522@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> Yeah. I agree. A charge is not listed anywhere here that I see...
>
> Number Transfer Q&AP
> http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/LNP_QA
>
> --
> Dana
>
> "B Anderson" <username@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:ggqd01pphk3hnkr0blklcqd33n3dj7bfro@4ax.com...
>> Dude, you got screwed.
>>
>> On 6 Feb 2005 12:03:30 -0800, "Digital Puer"
>> <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>Tropical Haven wrote:
>>>> > I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
>>>> > old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
>>>> > charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
>>>> > Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
>>>> > mentioned on any of their webpages or through
>>>> > customer service.
>>>>
>>>> Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a ported
>>>
>>>> number?
>>>>
>>>> TH
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
>>>this fee.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 10:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yes, that is right. I called Cingular and this is what
happened. I had bought the phone via Amazon, and the
phone came preactivated with a new number. I then called
Cingular to port my old number from Sprint, which they
did. So far so good.

The $36 charge (in addition to the $36 activation fee)
is due to the fact that they switched my pre-activated
phone's number to my old Sprint number. Evidently this
is not really a port (which I suppose would apply
to phones that are not pre-activated). I argued with
them and got them to drop the $36 fee; it will be
deducted next month.

However, one thing I'm pissed at is that the phone was
activated by Amazon on Jan 3 and did not arrive at
my house until Jan 6. I am still getting charged for
those days even though I did not physically have the
phone. I argued with them on this, but the guy wouldn't
budge (it was a $4 charge for those days).


Dana wrote:
> That fee sounds like the fee they charge if you walk in and ask to
change
> your phone number to a different number because you just want to
change it.
> I believe this is different then porting your old number over.
> --
> Dana
>
> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:R8CNd.25762$gS5.18522@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> > Yeah. I agree. A charge is not listed anywhere here that I see...
> >
> > Number Transfer Q&AP
> > http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/LNP_QA
> >
> > --
> > Dana
> >
> > "B Anderson" <username@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:ggqd01pphk3hnkr0blklcqd33n3dj7bfro@4ax.com...
> >> Dude, you got screwed.
> >>
> >> On 6 Feb 2005 12:03:30 -0800, "Digital Puer"
> >> <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>Tropical Haven wrote:
> >>>> > I recently got a new Cingular phone and ported my
> >>>> > old number from Sprint. On my first bill, I was
> >>>> > charged $36 for "one time charge for PCS Number
> >>>> > Change Fee". Is this right?? This fee was never
> >>>> > mentioned on any of their webpages or through
> >>>> > customer service.
> >>>>
> >>>> Maybe it's a fancy name for activation fee indicating it was a
ported
> >>>
> >>>> number?
> >>>>
> >>>> TH
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>The bill has a separate activation fee in addition to
> >>>this fee.
> >>
> >
> >
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:51:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

You said you argued to get the 36 dollars dropped. What was your argument
pretty much. I have that charge on my bill.

I would like to get my 36 dollars back too.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:51:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Cingular is charging for porting? Porting your number is suppose to be free,
what the hell is going on?


"Spockie" <spockie@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Xns961597463B629spockieverizonnet@199.45.49.11...
> You said you argued to get the 36 dollars dropped. What was your argument
> pretty much. I have that charge on my bill.
>
> I would like to get my 36 dollars back too.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Capn wrote:
> Cingular is charging for porting? Porting your number is suppose to be free,
> what the hell is going on?

What's going on is that the other poster purchased a phone, and there
was a number assinged to his account *before* he received his phone
(meaning it would have been shipped to him). After he recieves his
phone, he wants to port his number over, and he does so. Because the
billing system knows it's a number change, the account is automatically
charged a "change number" charge. However, most CSRs will have noted
this on the account and made the credit already, but it might have been
missed. There should be no charge for it. I haven't heard of anyone
actually having to pay for the "number change" when porting is done in
this fashion.

TH
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:32:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I told them exactly the situation: (1) I had called
Cingular prior to buying the phone, and they said
that there would not be a fee for porting my number
from Cingular. (2) Since Amazon had activated my phone
prior to sending it to me (it's on the website but
not easily seen), I was being billed for a phone
number change that should not have been necessary
in the first place.

Don't hesitate to demand to talk to a manager
instead of to the customer service person.



Spockie wrote:
> You said you argued to get the 36 dollars dropped. What was your
argument
> pretty much. I have that charge on my bill.
>
> I would like to get my 36 dollars back too.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:53:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1110576730.497595.183230@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I told them exactly the situation: (1) I had called
> Cingular prior to buying the phone, and they said
> that there would not be a fee for porting my number
> from Cingular. (2) Since Amazon had activated my phone
> prior to sending it to me (it's on the website but
> not easily seen), I was being billed for a phone
> number change that should not have been necessary
> in the first place.
>
> Don't hesitate to demand to talk to a manager
> instead of to the customer service person.
>
>
>
> Spockie wrote:
> > You said you argued to get the 36 dollars dropped. What was your
> argument
> > pretty much. I have that charge on my bill.
> >
> > I would like to get my 36 dollars back too.

Another WHOOPS charge.
!