loosing connection, and my wits!

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
This is my first time with Win2K. I shoulda stuck with 98se. First I have a problem getting my CDRW to burn. Now I keep on loosing my internet connection via cable modem. It will be working fine... but then viola, for no reason it stops working. The modem is fine, and the NIC appears to see the modem physically(green lights on). Sometimes I have to go into the connection settings for IE and redo them, even though they are already set the right way. But this last time the only way I found to fix it was to completely uninstall the D-Link NIC and then reboot and let Win2K find new hardware, and reinstall the drivers from the floppy. I wake up this morning and guess what, it's not working again! I'm on a lab pc right now. Anyone have any clue what is goin on? Faulty NIC? It's pretty much brand new. Something bad about my IBM Deskstar HDD? I've heard about them corrupting data.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
to see what network problems are showing up. let us know what you see.

D-Link NIC --check windows update..it should report that there is a new driver for the card available (might help)

as always make sure you have sp2 installed and all the other patches that might be necessary depending on your hardware.

Win2k does networking tons beter than me. So its a remote chance that win2k is messing you up.

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
This is my first time with Win2K, so how do you check the log? I have no idea. I have all the service packs and everything is updated to current versions.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
controlpanel/administrative tools (get used to these as they are awesome)/ event viewer.

the event viewer has 3 logs..application notices (like DCOM failed to initialize service)/security logs (makes note of security violations/ and system log --this one keeps track of events that are critical to win2k stability.

if u see a red X here..you had better take notice.

to get a more detailed idea of these error messages you can go to MS's free online resource kit (partial). Here, you will find a more verbose listing of all the error messages.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en/default.asp

G

i just want to make sure that you have your tcp/ip settings to 'obtain an ip automatically' from your cable ISP, cause if you do not then you will periodically lose your connection when they change your IP address and your pc cant adjust to it. this would usually happen at night when the pc is off and your machine cannot respond to the 'renew' request freom the cable providers DHCP server.

ignore everything i say

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Redstar:

I see some warnings. They tell me my NIC couldn't renew it's address from DHCP. This seems like a problem with my ISP. The only errors I have are that CPUCool cannot initialize. I don't think that should be a problem, though, as I don't really use that program anymore. Should I take this reference to CPUCool out, and if so, how?

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Yep, I'm not a total networking newbie! I've setup and maintained some PDC's and BDC's on Win2K machines before, as well as a basic home network.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
what is cpucool?

don't think i can do more than pt you in the right direction to trouble shoot. I would need alot more info to begin trying to assess what is wrong.

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I'm almost sure it's my ISP that's screwin up from time to time. Cpucool is a program that helps you monitor the temperature of your system and force your processor to idle if the temp reaches a certain point.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
www.netmedic.com

that will give u all kinds of nifty info about your connection.

also netdiag from MS does alot to pinpoint net problems (its an MS diagnostic tool)

i was a newbie when i first posted in this thread. hehe :)