Europe will have to wait for HDTV

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4065565.stm>

"The BBC will start broadcasting in HDTV when the time is
right, and it would not be just a showcase, but a whole set
of programming,"

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
9 answers Last reply
More about europe wait hdtv
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
    > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4065565.stm>
    >
    > "The BBC will start broadcasting in HDTV when the time is
    > right, and it would not be just a showcase, but a whole set
    > of programming,"

    Like most things the BBC will do sweet F.A. until it gets to a point where it
    challenges its existence, BSkyB however is launching a HD service next year into
    2006, and HD-DVD will also be available by that date.

    Ironically even if the Beeb are producing the majority of their content in HD in
    five years time they will be amongst the last to broadcast it, if that ever
    happens at all, this is due to their vested interest in a low-quality Freeview
    service. When a household uses this method of going digital the BBC viewing
    share plummets the least compared to other services like cable or satellite,
    hence the resistance in making any other platform more attractive than Freeview
    (such as BBC HD content on satellite).

    Az.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "Aztech" <az@tech.com> wrote in message
    > "K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
    > > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4065565.stm>
    > >
    > > "The BBC will start broadcasting in HDTV when the time is
    > > right, and it would not be just a showcase, but a whole set
    > > of programming,"
    >
    > Like most things the BBC will do sweet F.A. until it gets to a point where
    it
    > challenges its existence, BSkyB however is launching a HD service next
    year into
    > 2006, and HD-DVD will also be available by that date.
    >
    > Ironically even if the Beeb are producing the majority of their content in
    HD in
    > five years time they will be amongst the last to broadcast it, if that
    ever
    > happens at all, this is due to their vested interest in a low-quality
    Freeview
    > service. When a household uses this method of going digital the BBC
    viewing
    > share plummets the least compared to other services like cable or
    satellite,
    > hence the resistance in making any other platform more attractive than
    Freeview
    > (such as BBC HD content on satellite).

    But as the BBC has already got around seven FTA channels on satellite,
    surely adding an extra couple of HDTV channels would be cheaper to
    implement, have virtually universal coverage, and actually 'attract' extra
    viewers?

    > Az.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    <
    > But as the BBC has already got around seven FTA channels on satellite,
    > surely adding an extra couple of HDTV channels would be cheaper to
    > implement, have virtually universal coverage, and actually 'attract' extra
    > viewers?

    Well indeed, but to the wrong platform.

    Az.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <
    > > But as the BBC has already got around seven FTA channels on satellite,
    > > surely adding an extra couple of HDTV channels would be cheaper to
    > > implement, have virtually universal coverage, and actually 'attract'
    extra
    > > viewers?
    >
    > Well indeed, but to the wrong platform.

    I still don't understand, as around 8 million homes already have digital
    satellite anyway, so wouldn't it make sense to attract a core of viewers who
    want HDTV? Because if the BBC don't, then in the next couple of years there
    are other programme makers who will.

    > Az.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "Aztech" <az@tech.com> wrote in message
    > "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <
    >> But as the BBC has already got around seven FTA channels on satellite,
    >> surely adding an extra couple of HDTV channels would be cheaper to
    >> implement, have virtually universal coverage, and actually 'attract'
    >> extra
    >> viewers?
    >
    > Well indeed, but to the wrong platform.

    Surely this depends partially on what happens with FTA satellite in the UK.
    If ITV ditch Sky encryption and join the Beeb FTA on 2D - then there is real
    scope for a non-Sky FreeSat service that would add to the Freeview
    proposition, and allow non-Sky satellite viewing to drive digital
    "Freeview"-style non-sub take-up in non-Freeview covered areas.

    IMHO the Beeb WILL end up with HD on satellite, and it will be compatible
    with Sky HD receivers, to not do so would be a major problem. They won't be
    able to wait for a second generation DTT service to launch before they start
    HD transmissions, and given their status as a large producer of original
    content (most of which may be in HD well before analogue switch-off - when
    Freeview might be able to expand) they will want an outlet for this in HD
    before 2012...

    Too many variable to say for sure - but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a
    BBC HD proposition were part of a Sky HD line-up at launch, or soon after.

    Steve
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > "Aztech" <az@tech.com> wrote in message
    >> "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> <
    >> > But as the BBC has already got around seven FTA channels on satellite,
    >> > surely adding an extra couple of HDTV channels would be cheaper to
    >> > implement, have virtually universal coverage, and actually 'attract'
    > extra
    >> > viewers?
    >>
    >> Well indeed, but to the wrong platform.
    >>

    > I still don't understand, as around 8 million homes already have digital
    > satellite anyway, so wouldn't it make sense to attract a core of viewers who
    > want HDTV? Because if the BBC don't, then in the next couple of years there
    > are other programme makers who will.

    Because the Beeb viewing figures for those with Sky is under half that of a
    household that has Freeview, making satellite more appealing only makes matters
    worse, it devalues Freeview.

    Az.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Aztech" <az@tech.com> wrote in message
    > >> "ivan" <ivan'H'older@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> <
    > > extra
    > >>
    > >> Well indeed, but to the wrong platform.
    > >>

    > > I still don't understand, as around 8 million homes already have digital
    > > satellite anyway, so wouldn't it make sense to attract a core of viewers
    who
    > > want HDTV? Because if the BBC don't, then in the next couple of years
    there
    > > are other programme makers who will.
    >
    > Because the Beeb viewing figures for those with Sky is under half that of
    > household that has Freeview, making satellite more appealing only makes
    matters
    > worse, it devalues Freeview.

    Freeview co-exists quite happily in many homes which already have Sky and
    cable, and now that that receivers can be purchased for around the 30/£40
    mark it's a situation that's increasing daily.

    Only this week a customer of mine purchased three receivers, two for his
    young kids' bedrooms and one for his older daughter who lives at a different
    address, she originally had a cable box in her bedroom but has now replaced
    it with the much cheaper Freeview option, although she still keeps cable in
    the main sitting room.

    > Az.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:09:42 -0000, "Stephen Neal"
    <stephen.neal@nospam.as-directed.com> posted:

    >IMHO the Beeb WILL end up with HD on satellite, and it will be compatible
    >with Sky HD receivers, to not do so would be a major problem.

    Perhaps slower than real time distribution of HDTV content
    using broadband Internet with home (probably PC based)
    storage.

    IIRC, license fee payer funded content is currently
    available over dial-up and broadband Internet.

    Kirk Bayne
    alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:09:42 -0000, "Stephen Neal"
    > <stephen.neal@nospam.as-directed.com> posted:
    >
    >>IMHO the Beeb WILL end up with HD on satellite, and it will be compatible
    >>with Sky HD receivers, to not do so would be a major problem.
    >
    > Perhaps slower than real time distribution of HDTV content
    > using broadband Internet with home (probably PC based)
    > storage.

    Yep - I believe the Beeb experimented with some HD material during their
    recent "IMP" download trials, where BBC material was available for download
    (with some DRM to keep copyright holders happy?) The aim is to do for TV
    what their successful "Listen Again" site has done for radio content.

    You are right that this might be the first outlet for BBC HD material -
    along with HD DVD or Blu Ray? However neither of these are strictly
    "broadcasting" - though that may not be relevant!

    > IIRC, license fee payer funded content is currently
    > available over dial-up and broadband Internet.

    Yep - lots of radio content is available - both live streams and recorded
    stuff for streaming over the following 7 days. Some shows are now also
    available for MP3 download.

    There is a lot of video material available on-line, and the BBC operated a
    broadband streaming service for the Olympics (restricted to UK IP addresses
    I think)

    Unlike many other, commercial, broadcasters - the Beeb is keen to make its
    output as accessible as possible to UK licence fee payers, though has to
    balance this with not reducing the value of its output to non-UK
    broadcasters in overseas sales terms.

    Steve

Digital TV HDTV Video Home Theatre