Final PC checklist, any advice appreciated

attesan997

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
About a week away from placing the order for these parts to assemble a new machine. Any comments would be appreciated, especially if I overlooked something.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6715174

Also any general pc building advice would be welcome also, up until this point I've just upgraded, this would be my first complete build.

PS. One of the main reasons I didn't go for the 4870X2 is my 22" Samsung monitor. Since its native resolution is below the 1900 X 1200 (whatever the popular HD res is) I don't think I would see the additional benefit of the 4870X2. The 280 should be able to handle my monitor in native resolution with maxed in game settings for just about any title I would play. Second the gtx 280 would come in at roughly $100 less than the 4870X2. Lastly City of Heroes/Villians isn't exactly ATI's best friend, since that is my main game right now (until a few are released) it makes the most sense to get a card that it will play well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PPS. I toyed with the idea of waiting till i7 but I can wait till all the new hardware gets reviewed/benchmarked and the prices become stable. This machine will be more than enough for me, and I cant imagine the price of this particular hardware fluctuating a significant amount.

attesan997

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I actually went with that set first but I realized it wasn't on the motherboard qvl? I remember people having issues with P5Q boards and memory compatibility and couldn't find out for sure if the mushkin would work. The gskill set was the only one on the qvl that ran close to 1.8 v. I see new egg reviews from the past couple days that say it works on a p5Q-e (even up to 8gb works) and another review saying that the mushkin set doesn't work on the p5Q-e. Pretty confusing....