Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dude where's my partition?

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2010 12:14:47 PM

Hey Everyone,

So I finished my build and installed Windows 7 on a 1 TB WD Caviar Black. As I was going through the install process it asked "Where do you want to install" and at that point I made a 50 GB partition and selected that. So everything went great BUT now it ONLY shows a C: drive of 50 GB and nothing else... Yes I am a noob (we were all once...) but...where's the rest of my hard drive?

More about : dude partition

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 12:25:40 PM

You specifically told Windows to create a 50GB partition; it obeys the user so that's what it did. Your 1TB drive now has a 50GB C-partition and the rest is unpartitioned, just like you commanded Windows.

If you want to create additional partitions (which you could have done during the setup - by the way), then simply launch Disk Management and create a second partition:

click start
right click My Computer
click Manage
click Disk Management
here you can see your disk and right click the unpartitioned space.
February 14, 2010 12:37:30 PM

sub mesa said:
You specifically told Windows to create a 50GB partition; it obeys the user so that's what it did. Your 1TB drive now has a 50GB C-partition and the rest is unpartitioned, just like you commanded Windows.

If you want to create additional partitions (which you could have done during the setup - by the way), then simply launch Disk Management and create a second partition:

click start
right click My Computer
click Manage
click Disk Management
here you can see your disk and right click the unpartitioned space.

Got it, done. Thanks for your reply. Now the OS is on C: drive and E: is storage. There is an option to "Mark Partition as Active" for the OS partition. Do I do that? How do I "lock off" the C: partition as an OS-only area and tell the HDD to boot from there and use E: as storage?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 14, 2010 12:37:42 PM

Best answer selected by mirzai_m.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 12:41:39 PM

You may want to rename your CDROM/DVDROM drive to E instead, so your data partition will be called D: instead. Its a bit more tidy.

Don't mess with boot flags and stuff; leave your system drive as is. If you want to save your user files on the D partition, set your program location to save to D partition instead.

For example, you can configure Firefox to save all downloads in D:\Downloads instead, and create D:\Movies D:\Pictures etc. Whatever you want. :) 
m
l
February 14, 2010 2:54:38 PM

sub mesa said:
You may want to rename your CDROM/DVDROM drive to E instead, so your data partition will be called D: instead. Its a bit more tidy.

Don't mess with boot flags and stuff; leave your system drive as is. If you want to save your user files on the D partition, set your program location to save to D partition instead.

For example, you can configure Firefox to save all downloads in D:\Downloads instead, and create D:\Movies D:\Pictures etc. Whatever you want. :) 

Excellent, excellent! Best answer x2!
m
l
!