Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard/RAM/CPU problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2009 2:54:27 AM

Hello,

I recently got a new Intel Core2 duo, a new motherboard, and a new set of RAM. The mobo is an Asus P5Q-E and and the RAM are 2 2gig OCZ's. Now I've been building on my comp for a while, and I've seen my fair share of problems, but normally when they arise I can at least come to a sensible, not that terrifying conclusion. This time how ever I'm pretty afraid.

After I installed the new components today, the first problem that arose was my CPU over heating and shutting down my system midway through boot up. It turned out that my heatsink had a broken clamp and wasn't pressed firmly against the cpu, but after I fixed the clamp and got the temperature back down, my system still kept freezing at either the windows boot screen or just a little ways into the boot up of the desktop. When I reboot from the last known working configuration I can get into the desktop for a couple of minutes, but I can't move my mouse and can only use an older keyboard that's not USB.

I tried testing my RAM to see if they might be the problem, but they both seem perfectly fine. I've also tried booting in safe mode, but it just freezes during the boot. I'm really afraid that I might have accidentally hurt my motherboard during installation or something. Please give me a reason to believe it's something fixable. Here are my specs if it helps.

Windows XP 32bit
2 hard drives, bother older, one 80gig one 6gig.
4gigs of ram: 2 2gig ocz's
an ATI Radeon HD 3000 series (I think. I can't find it the exact model)
Intel Core2 Duo 3.0Ghz
600W PSU

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 5, 2009 11:40:01 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :) 

Update your motherboards BIOS and see if it helps.
Also try taking one of your RAMs out and test with the other one,or test the RAMs in another PC (if u have) and see if it boots up or not.
January 5, 2009 5:25:34 PM

I thought about the BIOS, but I don't know if I can update it with out it freezing on me. I'll give it a shot though. Also I don't know if my RAM will work in the other PC I have available to me. :??:  Thanks for the feed back.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 5, 2009 6:17:02 PM

No problems mate,let me know when u updated the BIOS.
January 5, 2009 11:09:12 PM

So I updated my BIOS just now and the problem persists. I didn't have a choice to try out my RAM, the other PC I have access to uses different RAM than mine. I did get it to boot up in safe mode though. In safe mode my mouse and keyboard will work just fine but I can't install anything off the motherboards driver disk. In fact, I can't run any exe at all. Other than that, the problem is all the same. :/  Any ideas?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 6, 2009 7:19:39 AM

Well maybe RMA your board,however if u somehow could test those RAMs it would be good.As i said take one of the sticks out and test with the other one,do this twice with both sticks and see what will happen
January 9, 2009 12:07:23 AM

Well I've tried testing my RAM on my machine, but not on another. I took one out then traded them out and the problem stayed the same both times. I guess there's a chance that both RAM are messed up but I can't determine that until I have a chance to try them in another computer that takes DDR2, which I don't have access too.

Earlier I hooked up my friends perfectly good hard drive to my computer and tried booting up in that but it just did the same thing, and froze during Ubuntu's boot up. :/  So I know it's not the Hard drive, and maybe not the RAM. I don't think it's the PSU because it's a beast and still pretty new. So that just leaves the Motherboard itself, and that scares me.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 9, 2009 7:09:41 AM

So then RAM your board and see what ASUS will tell u
January 9, 2009 6:39:58 PM

What do you mean by RAM my board? If you mean RMA my board I really don't know how to do that. Could you tell me how?
January 17, 2009 5:52:29 PM

So I have checked every part of my computer possible and the only thing left is the Motherboard. :/  It's past the RMA date but it's still in warranty so maybe I can still get it fixed or replaced. Any help would still be much appreciated, I'd much rather fix it than have to send it off.
January 23, 2009 9:40:40 PM

sounds like I have a similar problem but at least mine will work though very sluggish. Been in contact with AsusTek for a while now but they have taken a break due to Chinese new Year.
!