quad core worth it for gaming?

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi, I recently bought a Phenom quad core 9650 with the aim of gaming, and was planning on buying a geforce 9800gt+ graphics card. However, I have read that most games don't use quad cores and was wondering if this graphics card would be a waste of money as it would be bottlenecked by possibly using only a single core at 2.3 GHz? Is there any advantage for gaming of having a quad core if the games don't support it, over a single core at 2.3 GHz? Basically, I am wondering if this combo will be good enough for new games?
Cheers

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Some games lately have started to take advantage of quad cores. Most important item is GPU. Just make sure the CPU isn't so slow that it drags down your GPU performance and you are set. If your system is crossfire ready, you might want to consider ATI...

What resolution will you use for playing games?
What are your favored games?

At higher resolutions like 1920 and 2540, the vga card is most important, and it takes less cpu to drive the card. If you play at lower resolutions, then the cpu may not be able to drive the vga card to it's capability.
As a rule, clock speeds of 3.0 and higher will drive the best single vga card adequately.

There is no performance negative to a faster card, just diminishing results for your dollar.
I suspect you will be satisfied with a 9800GTX+. Get the EVGA version, just in case you feel the need to "step-up" within the next 90 days.

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Ok cheers.

I'll need high resolutions as I have a 28 inch monitor so I reckon the geforce 9800 gtx+ will do nicely. Just starting to get back into gaming so not really too sure of favored games, was thinking of buying the new call of duty to start with (but anything really, FPS, RPG, strategy).

I guess a large amount of memory on the card is probably a good idea too for high resolutions? I was also thinking of dual SLI in the next 6 months or so (can't really afford to double to cost on a single even better card at the moment). Do you reckon there would be any severe bottleneck with two geforce 9800 gtx+ and this processor?

Nice one

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Just thinking really in terms of the best value for money...would it better to buy a slightly worse graphics card that isn't bottlenecked at all bearing in mind SLI in the future.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Your MoBo supports SLI, right? That is a big monitor. You are right about needing some serios graphics solution. The 260 would probably be your best bet. Yes, you might have to save up a little longer, but it would probably be worth it.

The size of the screen is irrelevant. What matters is the resolution. That size(28") monitor is likely to be 1920x1200. If it is a 1080P TV, then it will be a bit less.

More ram on the card has already been factored into the performance ratings. I would not worry too much about that.

SLI has been a poor upgrade path in the past. It should be used only by
those who will not currently be satisfied by the fastest available single vga card
which is currently the 4870X2. The more affordable 4870 or GTX260 cards are close in performance, and represent a good value at the high end.
Paired with a decent cpu, you will get a good gaming experience.

To get SLI. you have to spend more up front for a SLI capable mobo, a
more powerful SLI capable PSU,a better cooling case, and a stronger cpu to drive them. Upgrading a single card later with a
second equal card does not get you 2x increase, it is more like 1.5x to 1.7x depending on the game.
At that time, you will still be paying top dollar for a card that is closer to
being obsolete. It would be better to sell the old card and use the proceeds
towards a better new generation single card.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
My comment on the monitor size is much the same as yours... that he isn't playing at 1440 X 900 or some other lower level. I wouldn't do SLI unless I were seriously rich and into gaming. DON'T PLAN ON SLI IF YOUR MOBO DOENS'T SUPPORT IT.

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
thanks for the input. My motherboard does support SLI, but from other searching i've done I haven't heard great things about it either...i'll probably take geofelts advice and just sell the 9800 gtx+ when I can afford a better one (I need to buy something now as the alternative is on board graphics for the next 4 or 5 months).

Although just looked at pricing and it isn't actually a great deal more for the GTX260 anyway, so maybe i'll scrape a bit more together.