Asus PK5PL (standard) cant overclock past 3.2 Ghz

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
My mobo wont let me overclock past 3.2 Ghz, it POSTs but then just hangs on a blank screen with a cursor flashing.

CPU is a Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66Ghz stock. Most people are able to overclock these up to 3.6, 3.8 or even 4 Ghz. I have a Scythe mugen 2 cooler.

I think the mobo is basically not designed for overclocking, or that the RAM wont handle it. I can view the vcore voltage at 1.38v +- , but cant change it.

I used Asus update to put the most current BIOS on the mobo.

Anybody have any idea if theres anything I can do short of buying a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance! :D

festerovic

Distinguished
It's sometimes luck of the draw, I have a q6600 that I could never get past 3.0ghz on my previous mobo. Yet reviews and benchmarks showed people with the same chip and same board got to 3.6ghz very frequently. So I bought a new board, and can OC that same chip to 3.6ghz now. At 3.6ghz my quad core wants 1.375 volts. At my usual settings of 3.2ghz it takes 1.30v.

Did you read the sticky in the Overclocking forum section about how to OC core 2 duos? If you do everything by the book, and it still won't OC, you're chip is a stinker or your board is.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

I think its the board. I cannot change the voltage through the BIOS. It wont let me - just doesnt have the feature.

Are there any utilities for increasing voltages through Windows? Heh - I might google that I guess.....

Otherwise I think I'll have to change the board.

I'll check the sticky first, thanks for the tip :D

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Yes I have a ASUS P5kPL-CM mobo and I can't get past 3.0GHZ
What I am running on my new system is Dual core 2.4 overclocked to 2.89GHz (Second Gaming PC)
I have two systems and this is my newest one I build...
But maybe if I have gotten a 3.0GHZ Processor I don't think I would have that issues because I can change the Volt core on the system.

Odan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Same problem here on my asus P5K, just won't let me go over any busspeed above 400. Everything Above = Fail...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

EDIT: Just noticed ODAN was posting to a 4 month old thread, OH WELL :pt1cable:

festerovic

Distinguished
Raise the memory timings. Also, if your timings include command rate for mem, set it to 2T instead of auto or 1T. What voltage are you running? Also, have you raised the other board voltages? I think its GMCH and the other one...

Odan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
my timing are now 5 - 5 - 5 - 15
so you suggest making them 6 - 6 - 6 -18?

I'll look into the voltages.. have them on auto now :)

festerovic

Distinguished
I would guess the voltages would be more important, its more like brute forcing the settings. But you could try the ram timings first to see if it helps before the voltages.

Auto voltages in some cases just pick a specific voltage. Hardly "auto" huh? At least the auto setting works on stock speeds, which is the intention.