Sign in with
Your question

Are you Quad guys finally beating the Dual guys for GTA4?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2008 4:28:25 PM

I dont have GTA4 just yet, but I will soon be getting it. I was curious to see if GTA4 is really utilizing the Quad cores like Rockstar is claiming. Quads are in the recommended and minimum system specs. So lets see are we proving them wrong and the E8600 guys are keeping up with them substantially? This is huge if they are and Quads have just been pushed back to the assembly lines for new improvement if thats the case. This is one of the first to fully claim to utilize all Cores. I know there are a few others, but this game will either make history or put Quads back on the drawing board.

So are you Quad guys getting a substantial increase in performance over the high end duals like the E8500 and 8600?

Post your benchmarks for this game. We shall see.

More about : quad guys finally beating dual guys gta4

December 3, 2008 5:06:30 PM

i dont have it atm but i cant wait to get it. i read on a previous forum that there are problems with the 4XXX series and especially on the 4870X2 which i have :( . i got a quad and have been dying to put it to good use.

ill let u know as soon as i play it :D 
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2008 6:28:29 PM

According to one of my co-workers (who happens to be a gamer), his QX9750 has all its cores being used around the same; can't say how that compares to a duo though...
Related resources
December 3, 2008 6:37:26 PM

Ah man the QX9750 is already one of the best out there, so I think he will be happy. Especially going up against a E8500.
December 4, 2008 5:47:54 PM

Won't buy GTA4: Requires online activation, enforced by SecuROM. Preorder cancelled, actually mailed a physical letter to Rockstar/Take2. I was looking forward to it for a long time, too, I'm pretty upset.
December 4, 2008 6:18:24 PM

snarfies1 said:
Won't buy GTA4: Requires online activation, enforced by SecuROM. Preorder cancelled, actually mailed a physical letter to Rockstar/Take2. I was looking forward to it for a long time, too, I'm pretty upset.

I have to claim ignorance on this one...
Why is that a bad thing again?
Is piracty protection really that bad of a thing? Also, if secuROM is your major beef with it, why not just buy it on steam?
December 4, 2008 6:21:04 PM

I won't buy it, but not because of SecureRom. I don't like gangster games as a genre and I'd rather see gangster games that are not dealing with contemporary crime. Researchers claim that real life gangsters use some GTA titles as recruiting tools and get social validation from the inclusion of real gang names and symbols.

I was robbed at gunpoint a couple of years ago by a gang member, and I wouldn't wish that on all the suburban pretend gangsters who buy the music and play the games. Now, if gangster games are placed in a prior century with the same sort of clothing you find in a chick flick costume movie, then gangsters wouldn't get their jollies and validation.

Wouldn't a "gangs of New York" style GTA set in 1850's New York or a "beggar king of London" set in the 1770's give just as much criminal role playing open level fix as the "real life" gangster games? I"m sure it would. It just wouldn't validate the subculture that's actually likely to rob you or jack your car.

As for music, while you couldn't listen while riding around on your horse, the taverns should have some pretty cool stuff. I've listened to bawdy music from the 19th century in art music class way back in my college days. One round still comes to mind. Each singer performs a sweet love ballad, but when it gets to the saddest part, the two voices merge into the phrase "look up her dress". That had the whole class falling on the floor laughing years before LOL was ever typed on a message board.

I do look forward to games using more cores. My "tripple cripple" Toliman 8750's extra core gets a workout in some apps, but not in most games I play. If the recession's over by summer 2009, then I'll consider a Phenom II upgrade, but I may not need 4 cores in games till sometime in 2010.
December 4, 2008 6:29:03 PM

yipsl said:
I won't buy it, but not because of SecureRom. I don't like gangster games as a genre and I'd rather see gangster games that are not dealing with contemporary crime. Researchers claim that real life gangsters use some GTA titles as recruiting tools and get social validation from the inclusion of real gang names and symbols.

I was robbed at gunpoint a couple of years ago by a gang member, and I wouldn't wish that on all the suburban pretend gangsters who buy the music and play the games. Now, if gangster games are placed in a prior century with the same sort of clothing you find in a chick flick costume movie, then gangsters wouldn't get their jollies and validation.

Wouldn't a "gangs of New York" style GTA set in 1850's New York or a "beggar king of London" set in the 1770's give just as much criminal role playing open level fix as the "real life" gangster games? I"m sure it would. It just wouldn't validate the subculture that's actually likely to rob you or jack your car.

I do look forward to games using more cores. My "tripple cripple" Toliman 8750's extra core gets a workout in some apps, but not in most games I play. If the recession's over by summer 2009, then I'll consider a Phenom II upgrade, but I may not need 4 cores in games till sometime in 2010.

Gangsters have been around long before video games or even TV, as you said yourself. This game has zero to do with you being robbed, although I am sorry to hear it and wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I could see how that would affect your decision though. I don't think I'd take any pleasure in virtually car jacking someone if it had happened to me in real life.

Not buying it because you wouldn't like it because of a real life experience is one thing. Claiming that these games validate crime is just silly. Crime wont decline or disapear if its ignored by the gaming culture, it just wont.
December 4, 2008 6:39:40 PM

I'm not saying it validates crime. I'm saying the games that use real gang symbols were found by police at raided gang houses, and researchers who've interviewed gang members claim the gang members pointed to GTA games as proof that people really want to be like them.

My point is that it's fine to have a gangster game, but set it in a historical period, a fantasy setting (like the Dark Brotherhood quest arc in Oblivion) or a future SF setting that does not tie into the criminal subculture today. Especially with an historical title, using authentic language and environments, you'd scare away the real gang members.

I'm not advocating censorship or taking away the suburban male's favorite way of pretending to be badder than bad, but recommending that developers consider ways to provide the fix without buying into the attitudes of today's criminals. IMHO, an historical gangster game would be better than GTA, it could even have an educational purpose if a period's accurately recreated.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2008 7:26:36 PM

That is all pure BS
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2008 7:29:47 PM

wow you guys really hijacked this dudes poor thread... lol

getting back on topic:

from what i hear yes GTA4 does use all 4 cores simultaneously, HOWEVER, it is littered with bugs and thus, does not bring any justice to quad vs. dual core gaming
December 5, 2008 3:18:11 AM

Thanks Werxen. Lets all get back to the topic. So I just bought it, I guess I will soon see. I hope there is no cussing or violence in this game.

p.s. I hope you all know I am joking.
a c 127 à CPUs
December 5, 2008 4:53:35 AM

snarfies1 said:

I don't mind online activation, hence why I use Steam. As long as the SecuRom is not as bad as some of the other ones I have seen I am fine with the activation.

werxen said:
wow you guys really hijacked this dudes poor thread... lol

getting back on topic:

from what i hear yes GTA4 does use all 4 cores simultaneously, HOWEVER, it is littered with bugs and thus, does not bring any justice to quad vs. dual core gaming

Hopefully they fix it. L4D utilizes quads very well, about 60-70% in game of my 3Ghz Q6600 (OC) and gives a nice performance boost. Would be nice if GTA4 does too and allows for good performance.

Maybe Rockstar should ask VALVe for help with the bugs. They had a bug in Source that would cause TF2 to crash when using MT.... maybe they can help eachother out.....
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2008 4:50:27 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I don't mind online activation, hence why I use Steam. As long as the SecuRom is not as bad as some of the other ones I have seen I am fine with the activation.

Hopefully they fix it. L4D utilizes quads very well, about 60-70% in game of my 3Ghz Q6600 (OC) and gives a nice performance boost. Would be nice if GTA4 does too and allows for good performance.

Maybe Rockstar should ask VALVe for help with the bugs. They had a bug in Source that would cause TF2 to crash when using MT.... maybe they can help eachother out.....

god that would be epic. valve + rockstar working together on a game... :love:  :love:  i love valve much much more in game design and architecture but i love rock stars story lines. imagine Gordon Freeman with a crowbar in Liberty City lol driving around in a hover craft squashing people under cars with his gravity gun. love at first sight...
December 5, 2008 5:18:16 PM

The Quick lowdown.

So I have installed and played for a little while. This game is brutal for my system. I have a GTX 260 Core 216 700core/1200mem. Also a Q9550 at 3.83Ghz OCed. First of all, they wont even let me max out the graphics, because they are saying I dont have enough GPU memory. Thats weird. So when I play on as maxed as I can I am getting like 19 to 20 fps if that. Then if I lower all settings I am getting in the 30 unless it is night with all the lights. So, watch out people until Rockstar puts out a patch, it looks like this is a tough one on your system if you like those smooth frames.
December 5, 2008 5:53:12 PM

There has been an announced problem with the game

From what ive seen/read quads are winning overall, but its bad
Everyone is facing it with HORRIBLE optimization. Some memory leaks and stuff. Hopefully a patch will come.

But i saw a Core i7 3.5 GHz 6 gigs of ram and 2 8800Ultra on Medium was getting 30 ish frames. So theres definitely a problem
December 5, 2008 6:07:54 PM

They officially stated that medium was the max for normal hardware presently.
They did a crysis! Now all the people who have sad lives that are only about maxing out graphics in games, are turning over in their cola infested chairs.
December 5, 2008 6:10:49 PM

Luckily it is a little to late to claim that the game sucks, like they tried with crysis. They had such a hard time accepting that their expensive computer couldn''t run crysis, they had to say "Oh well... I don't like that game anyway, HAH!".
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2008 7:14:01 PM

yea this game is VERY rough on the systems from what i hear. although i suspect that patches will improve the game, i really doubt it it will improve it as much as people think it will. the problem is rockstar is very ambitious with gta4. i remember reading some blogs and what not when rockstar was saying they wanted to create a living world with people living their own lives in liberty city aka making it as real as possible (possibly because of the many complaints from previous gta series - mainly being too cartoonish and un reaslistic) rockstar stated there will be much more pedestrian and vehicle movements in this game at all times and that eats your gpu quick. this probably will be the next crysis like it or not. either way i beat it on the 360 and its a mediocore game so screw getting it for the pc.
December 6, 2008 9:22:03 AM

I double checked my fps with FRAPS. On maxed out graphics I am getting about 20-24fps and on medium high settings 30-35fps. So I guess I cant really complain. I just thought by getting my new Q9550 OCed from 2.83 to 3.83Ghz and then my GTX 260 Black Edition core 216 (stock 576core/ 999mem) Oced to 700core / and 1215 mem, that I would be at 60fps all of the time. That seems to not always be the case. Still to this day, I wonder what hardware the computer programmers are using while creating the game.
December 6, 2008 9:32:05 AM

GTA4 is out on PC? i really gotta get with the times...
December 6, 2008 11:49:22 AM

Anyone else having trouble with the date when you go bowling? I cant seem to move my mouse back for it to work and throw the ball.
December 6, 2008 2:10:07 PM

I heard they use three cores for DRM and the remaining core to run the game...
December 22, 2008 6:04:22 AM

The Best Quad Core beats the Best I7 at Gaming and the E8500 But by a very low Percentage and if you Over clock the E8500 You will beat all and Saving alot of money You Dont need Many cores for Gaming it been Proven so many times in so many ways But How they Try to Push Products and Basically Brain Wash Consumers is Just Ridicules what they do is Slowly Force Every New thing by Patching so they will slowly tweak it to work better with More Cores and worse with there Older Products Its Just like the Windows Direct X 10 Scam they pay the Gaming company's to put a lock on the Game so it can not Operate at its Maximum Also come up with some Sciencey Way to prove that its Because of this or that But if you Believe it you are a Fool...

Just like the Makers on GTA4 Said that you have to have a Top of the LIne PC to play this game But its BS you are saying a Freaking Crappy Xbox has More Ram Bigger CPU Better GPU then a Decent PC thats BS a Xbox is the Cheapest Gaming PC you Can get of course its more "Optimized" for the Game but thats BS i Even Seen it on The GTA Forum site some guy has a Top of the Line PC and is Getting the worst FPS possible in that game and the Guy Who works for GTA said it Takes a Big CPU to run the Game such B.S.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 7:23:37 AM

malstrom said:
The Best Quad Core beats the Best I7 at Gaming and the E8500 But by a very low Percentage and if you Over clock the E8500 You will beat all and Saving alot of money You Dont need Many cores for Gaming it been Proven so many times in so many ways But How they Try to Push Products and Basically Brain Wash Consumers is Just Ridicules what they do is Slowly Force Every New thing by Patching so they will slowly tweak it to work better with More Cores and worse with there Older Products Its Just like the Windows Direct X 10 Scam they pay the Gaming company's to put a lock on the Game so it can not Operate at its Maximum Also come up with some Sciencey Way to prove that its Because of this or that But if you Believe it you are a Fool...

Just like the Makers on GTA4 Said that you have to have a Top of the LIne PC to play this game But its BS you are saying a Freaking Crappy Xbox has More Ram Bigger CPU Better GPU then a Decent PC thats BS a Xbox is the Cheapest Gaming PC you Can get of course its more "Optimized" for the Game but thats BS i Even Seen it on The GTA Forum site some guy has a Top of the Line PC and is Getting the worst FPS possible in that game and the Guy Who works for GTA said it Takes a Big CPU to run the Game such B.S.

first off - the best quad core IS the i7.

second off - the high end quads will beat an E8500 in this gaming department but only marginally. my overclocked E8500 can keep up with an overclocked Q6600

third off - what the hell is wrong with your Typing Why Do You Type Like A Robot With A Cpu Tumor

we all know that gta4 is a crappy console port that is LITTERED with bugs - whats your point?
December 22, 2008 7:43:19 AM

malstrom said:
the Guy Who works for GTA said it Takes a Big CPU to run the Game

Ahhh a technical discussion!
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 8:07:11 AM

GTA IV loves quads. 1 core for the game engine, 1 core for SecuROM and 2 cores for the XBOX 360 emulator. Yes, emulator. What other explanation is there for the performance of the game?
December 22, 2008 11:47:54 AM

randomizer said:
.... 1 core for SecuROM .....

:non:  bad boy, bad bad boy
December 22, 2008 1:10:28 PM

randomizer said:
GTA IV loves quads. 1 core for the game engine, 1 core for SecuROM and 2 cores for the XBOX 360 emulator. Yes, emulator. What other explanation is there for the performance of the game?

Why are you being so [H]arsh on Rockstar? The game was designed to be "future proof" (as they stated), so that, when XBOX 720 comes [if it comes with full backward compatibility], it won't run the game too fast. For the PC gamers it will be just a teaser until Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer comes along with Larrabee 2 and GTX485 & 6870X2 FTW, because it was only intended to be seen, and not to be played, since it's always more entertaining when it's 'yet to be available' (like most hardware previews we talk about here). lol
December 22, 2008 2:09:56 PM

Xbox 720 wth
Sources plx! (ya i just googled it, and it came back with a load of kiddy talk)
December 22, 2008 2:53:44 PM

With my Quad at 2.8Ghz wasn't able to play GTA4 on max graphics, but OCed to 3.83Ghz and I am flying at 30fps give or take with max settings at all times.
December 22, 2008 4:04:08 PM

werxen said:

we all know that gta4 is a crappy console port that is LITTERED with bugs - whats your point?

what kind of bugs? are you sure that gta4 is the one causing the problem not your hardware?

i wanna experience some gta4 bugs too but 4 days of playing and still no bugs :(  . . .

December 22, 2008 4:13:42 PM

So, with GTA4 we have one of 2 scenarios

Either Rockstar have very bad programmers and are trying to get people to buy the game and upgrade their PC's to hide the really poorly written code that could be optimized to run up to 4x faster or

Rockstar has managed to get the next gen hardware and program for it.

Guess which one I think we have here.

Sorry but releasing a game now that needs the current best CPU and Graphics to get poor frame rates even on medium settings just screams of poor and sloppy programing. I have seen this game run and the graphics just dont match the processor or GPU needed to run it.
December 22, 2008 4:40:16 PM

Qwakrz said:

Guess which one I think we have here.

Sorry but releasing a game now that needs the current best CPU and Graphics to get poor frame rates even on medium settings just screams of poor and sloppy programing. I have seen this game run and the graphics just dont match the processor or GPU needed to run it.

none of your guess is right.

i can play @ 16x10 (high/highest settings). i dont know what you mean by poor frame rates but my system hits 30-40fps on this one. and my rig dont have the "best" cpu/graphics out there, q6600/4850 1gb.

turns out most of those performance issues comes from those who overtweak their graphics settings. going beyond their gpu vram indicator.

like what ive said, i want to experience that so poor framerates along with the bug and glitches that everyone are crying about.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 5:09:45 PM

wh3resmycar said:
what kind of bugs? are you sure that gta4 is the one causing the problem not your hardware?

i wanna experience some gta4 bugs too but 4 days of playing and still no bugs :(  . . .

wow! good for you! you must call into the .1 percentile of people who bought/stole gta4!! [/end of fake smile]
December 22, 2008 5:24:22 PM

wh3resmycar said:
none of your guess is right.

i can play @ 16x10 (high/highest settings). i dont know what you mean by poor frame rates but my system hits 30-40fps on this one. and my rig dont have the "best" cpu/graphics out there, q6600/4850 1gb.

turns out most of those performance issues comes from those who overtweak their graphics settings. going beyond their gpu vram indicator.

like what ive said, i want to experience that so poor framerates along with the bug and glitches that everyone are crying about.

Just because you are running it this way it doesn't mean that's the scenario most users are seeing. Besides, 4850 1GB is not *that* much mainstream, although it certainly isn't pricey for what it delivers. Other factor: is your Q6600 running at stock? I doubt it, but I'll wait until your response to further comment on that. But if the answer is "no", I don't care if just a FSB of 333 or 400 is needed to be set at the BIOS, even with no adjust whatsoever to Vcore or MCH voltage. It would be running out of specification and no user should *have* to overclock a Quad-Core CPU *today* (which is not mainstream just because it is one of the cheapest) to play some game that looks like that and scores 30-40 FPS. I run things much more pretty than that with my X2 4400 + 4670 (like COD5, Fallout 3 and Left4Dead) at "High" settings and there's simply no excuse for GTAIV. Well, I'm sorry, but even your FPS looks pathetic if taking a good look at the very nice system you have.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 9:48:08 PM

dattimr said:
Why are you being so [H]arsh on Rockstar? The game was designed to be "future proof" (as they stated), so that, when XBOX 720 comes [if it comes with full backward compatibility], it won't run the game too fast.

I suppose Fallout 3 crashes so much because it is future-proofed for Windows OSs with better exception handling?
December 22, 2008 10:15:37 PM

randomizer said:
I suppose Fallout 3 crashes so much because it is future-proofed for Windows OSs with better exception handling?

Haven't really seen bad things about it, though. Not yet, at least. :sweat:  Except for those stupid console ported dialog screens, I mean, 3 lines full of text and half the screen empty, but waiting for you to scroll down to see what's next. WTF?
December 22, 2008 10:23:42 PM

By the way, as I said earlier, just because I'm having a good experience so far it doesn't mean this reflects the overall quality or performance of the product. But I'm surprised that Catalyst has been doing just fine on this game. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about Gears of War. Well, I don't know if it's the drivers, the 4670, the X2 4400, but the game shows some stupid horizontal lines while I move the mouse a little fast. Same happens no matter which settings I choose, everything on "low", anything on "max", VSYNC "on" and" off"... Omg. What are they called?
December 22, 2008 10:26:33 PM

never had a single crash playing Fallout 3 myself.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 10:35:01 PM

I couldn't get FO3 to start on Vista, it works ok on XP usually, crashes every few hours.
December 22, 2008 10:38:07 PM

really weird. the only thing i have ever seen it respond weird to is that stupid Windows sidebar. if i dont close it, i can see that intro screen for FO3 flashing around in that sidebar area at times so i just close it out before running the game.
December 22, 2008 10:40:51 PM

^patches?

lol beat me to it roofus... my comment was directd at randomizer :p 
December 22, 2008 10:44:09 PM

hehe. that game has capitalized my weekends. Venom i agree with ya. i let the game update first time i started it so i couldn't tell you if it behaves poorly without the patch.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 10:53:57 PM

Of course I have it patched. It just works for some people and not for others. It's called bad programming.
December 22, 2008 11:06:24 PM

or maybe a specific piece of hardware it doesn't like?
December 22, 2008 11:10:03 PM

randomizer said:
Of course I have it patched. It just works for some people and not for others. It's called bad programming.

Just poor memory management on their part, otherwise its a great game thought.

Word, Playa.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 11:16:37 PM

roofus said:
or maybe a specific piece of hardware it doesn't like?

Problems are too widespread for that. Unless you say it doesn't like Intel CPUs :heink: 
December 22, 2008 11:17:12 PM

i wont bite and buy GTA4. i bought all the previous ones and get bored quick. same crap over and over imho
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!