Replacement CPU Clamp for Alienware WC

Hi Guys

I am new to WC, and need some help. I am upgrading an Alienware to a i7 which is to be OC'd to 4Ghz. The system is currently running a 775 chip, so the clamp on the stock Alienware no longer fits.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the clamp with the correct one, or does it needs a whole new i7 1366 sized block?

Here's an image of the WC rig:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7083/photo104z.th.jpg

One thing you'll note is that it's sealed! If I have to change the block, that's fine, but how to refill it...will it need a reservoir adding, or can it be refilled by submerging?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about replacement clamp alienware
  1. Welll for one, you cant even put an i7 in a 775 socket. LOL.
  2. Oh yes, did I forget to mention that the board has been changed.......? Sorry thought that would have been fairly obvious! :kaola:
  3. leedjc said:
    Oh yes, did I forget to mention that the board has been changed.......? Sorry thought that would have been fairly obvious! :kaola:

To be fair, you DID say you were upgrading to an i7. Nothing was mentioned about a new board. I'm sure a 1366 socket CPU has been attempted to be forced into a 775 socket board. We like to make sure. Normally I would assume, but with the large amount of uninformed people, you can never be too sure.

I would recommend you contact the maker of your PC. I'm sure Alienware owes you some help with the price you paid for your system.
  4. I hate to say this, but that WC setup can probably only cool about 125 watts max. it's only a 120x1 rad and a pretty weak pump/block setup.

Don't think it will cool a 250 watt CPU very well. Might want to reconsider your options. Might need to start over if you stay water, here is our guide on Toms, and look at the other guides link in this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Intel i7 CPUs Alienware Overclocking