Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problem peer-to-peer networking Windows XP

Last response: in Toms Network
February 12, 2009 7:51:01 PM

Two PCs in my office could share files before I replaced one of them with a new one. Both are XP. The new PC can still talk to the older one, but the older one cannot see the new one even though I've set up My documents as shared on the new machine.

Can anybody advise, please?

Best solution

February 12, 2009 7:55:19 PM

Check firewall and file sharing configuration on the newer pc.
February 12, 2009 11:15:59 PM

ironhide said:

I did check those things and see that file and printer sharing are enabled. They are in the same workgroup. I will, however, go back to the new machine and look harder. It seems that this is where the problem has to be.

Thanks for your input. I've been retired for 3 years but before that managed a network of some 100 PCs, many of which also connected peer-to-peer. I'm rusty, though, and couldn't quite figure out what I was missing.
Related resources
February 12, 2009 11:30:27 PM

Let's move on checking your network devices? modem? router/s? brand and model?
Ip address of your pc'S?
February 13, 2009 11:44:09 AM

ironhide said:
Let's move on checking your network devices? modem? router/s? brand and model?
Ip address of your pc'S?

Hi - I'm not in that office at present as I only help out as a volunteer, occasionally. What I do know is that both machines are connected via broadband to the internet. When I look at local network properties, both show that they are getting ip addresses automatically.

I will dig deeper into the firewall thing and check that both have the same windows updates, too. I believe both are set to do the updates automatically.

Things are starting to creep back into my mind from my old working days but I've forgotten the command line to get the ip address of the machine (apparently, I've forgotten some other stuff too.).

Anyway, thanks for your questions, etc, that have helped trigger my memory.
February 13, 2009 2:50:45 PM

ironhide said:

Ironhide - thanks for you help and jogging my rusty old memory. It was indeed a firewall issue on the new machine and the problem is resolved. The girls in the office are very happy I was able to walk them through fixing the problem. :bounce: 
February 13, 2009 3:22:21 PM

Very well!

I'm glad everthing is resolved!

Have a productive day ahead.
September 18, 2010 7:11:50 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
September 18, 2010 7:11:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!